Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

Where did you get the hatching eggs and if you don't mind me asking, were they expensive?
Dang, I just saw you are from Canada. That means I likely can't get them from your source.

Last edited:
That would be great Chad! I guess you've been looking for the ultimate dual purpose bird too. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Yes, bigredfeather. All the folks who have them (small number) are in Ontario. They are $50 for a dozen hatching eggs. The cost is much greater when you have to factor in all the legal documents, etc,...Someone else from the U.S. inquired about them too & emailed my source for more info. It really isn't cost effective right now. Part of my wanting to promote this breed, is to hope folks who live close to the border (or willing to transport) will take on this breed as well. By increasing their numbers & acquiring more breeders to take up their cause, there will be better access for all. The price quoted for export of a dozen hatching eggs, was in the area of $400 right now, just to let you know.

Last edited:
I just looked them up. What an interesting breed. They sound like a massive bird.

Ah, yes. Lol! There are 2 varieties of Malines. I have the single combed cuckoos & then there are the turkey heads. Some folks prefer the turkey heads, I guess as much as they prefer naked necks? Apparently the turkey head variety is here as well. I don't know who has them though. I started a thread on my local forum & have seen 2 other owners of Malines from Bart Nagel, my source. Seems they are new to the breed as well.

I saw a picture of the turkey heads. They had very little comb and no wattles. The photographed bird simply had a large red spot on his neck where his wattles would be.

Back
Top Bottom