Belgian Malinois

GreatPyrenees

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
Hi I am new here and just starting out. I have 11 chickens and 29 quieankests. I have a 1 1/2 year old female great pyraness watching them 24/7. Our neighbors got robbed and so have other neighbors but they don't have any dogs. I think the only reason we haven't gotten robbed is because of our girl. For extra protection I was thinking of getting a Belgian Malinois to protect our house mainly. If I got one would they kill my chickens and Quiana of not??

Thanks

Belgian Malinois are definitely not for the feint of heart. They can be a handful, and when kept for protection, they can often inadvertently be trained to be too protective, leading to surrender at shelters or euthanize for aggression.

It's difficult to know whether an individual dog will attack and kill chickens. With proper training, most dogs can be taught to avoid chickens, but many can never be trusted to be alone with them.

If you already have outside dogs that will make noise when strangers enter the property, that is enough to deter many thieves. Especially if you have more than one dog. Thieves will often avoid situations that may call attention to themselves, and that includes barking dogs.

If you really think you need extra protection, installing a security system may be a good option that will be immediate and take less time. This breed of dog requires a knowledgeable person to train them (of course I'm not sure of your expertise in the subject so you may be more than capable) and they also require extensive training. They are also fairly high strung dogs that will require regular exercise and stimulation, especially if kept in a house.

If you have valuables you are worried about now, and you happen to have a attic, put all the stuff you don't want stolen up there. My dad did 25 years on a police force handling burglaries and he said never once did anyone steal things from an attic!

Eta: I'm on my iPhone, so please excuse any weird spelling errors!

Last edited:
yes, any home with a dog, especially something as big as a GP isn't going to be on the "easy target" list.

If you aren't experienced in high-drive protection breeds, a Malinois isn't for you.

They need daily work as far as exercise and training. They aren't a breed that you can leave to their own devices for exercise and entertainment.
They need a LOT of socialization to avoid becoming a liability that tries to eat the mail man, Girl Scouts and Jehovah's Witnesses.

https://bayareadogtrainer.wordpress...ican-public-belgian-malinois-look-dont-touch/

I am hijacking this old thread. We have a Mallinoise rescue from being chained out 24x7. Currently I am trying my hardest to put weight back on him. I really do not like feeling a dogs backbone when I pet it. He loves food and frisbee, frisbee frisbee. Does not like snakes or scorpions. Regardless this Mal is a good pet now that he is treated like one.

Last edited:
I should have probably been more clear. He is a house dog. He is no longer tied outside by neighbors. Frisbee gives him awesome fun working on his bite work. I agree with the previous posters this is a breed that is meant to work and bite things they are not common house pets get a german shepherd instead.

Last edited:
I am hijacking this old thread. We have a Mallinoise rescue from being chained out 24x7. Currently I am trying my hardest to put weight back on him. I really do not like feeling a dogs backbone when I pet it. He loves food and frisbee, frisbee frisbee. Does not like snakes or scorpions. Regardless this Mal is a good pet now that he is treated like one.
I can tell you how to put weight on your dog. If there is a locker plant around that processes beef, ask them for some kidney fat. Kidney fat is white, firm, and easy to handle. Most dogs like it. Give him a piece about the size of a walnut every day. I once had a Komondor that was quite underweight. A breeder told me about kidney fat. Trouble was I didn't think the walnut sized piece was big enough so I gave her a piece about the size of my fist. Let's just say she gained weight. I should have stayed with the walnut.

Back
Top Bottom