Beloved chicken has sour crop

colleenmarie

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 8, 2009
Hello. Our 15 year old hen developed sour crop after a run of antibiotics we gave her for an infection. This has been going on for about 5 days. every day she is getting weaker. I've tried several time to 'burp' her, but have only had success 1 time getting anything our of her (mostly yellow goop, with a little food mixed in} she has a lump about the size of a lemon still in her crop. I have given her Epsom salts, (3 days) tomato juice (1 DAY) unsweetened yogurt with pro-biotics everyday, and have just started her on a product 'recover 911' that has electrolytes, probiotics and prebiotics and oregano. Does anyone have a suggestions for us? The vet is unable to see her for 3 weeks! She will not make it 3 weeks. This chicken is a beloved pet that lives with us. Any help will be so appreciated. She does perk us (eyes open, looks around) after I give her a dose of the 911 or yogurt for a short bit she is so weak she can't stand. Thank you

Why was she in need of antibiotics?

At 15 she's an Old Gal! Do you have photos of her!?

I would address the crop problem according to the article below. With sour crop you need an antifungal/yeast. Miconazole, Clotrimazole or Nystatin are the more commonly used remedies. I use Miconazole or Clotrimazole cream, you can find it OTC at Walmart in the feminine hygiene section or order it online.

Will she take any food at all? I agree with you, if you are unable to get nutrition into her, then she's not long for this world. Wet soupy feed or baby bird formula can be given. It's tricky when the crop is sour and not emptying, but you still need to get fluids and food into them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom