Beloved perhaps slightly touched hen ate way too many rocks and afraid she'll die... now what?

I love your answer, which is wise and heartfelt. And yes, this precious creature outshines the rest. I just think she is not long for the world. It hurts so damn much. Wasnā€™t ready for that,
I am so sorry you are struggling with these unexpected emotions. My heart goes out to you and it seems she is almost like your therapy chick helping you experience then navigate possibly suppressed emotions from past trauma.
Pica may be a nutritional deficit-possibly calcium? I saw an egg on the xray with a thin shell, albeit that just may be the stage in egg development, bone cortex looks ok but young..? Do you offer oyster shell on the side?

Maybe youā€™ve already seen this, but in this thread someone is describing a similar problem. People also suggested the possibility of mineral deficiencies there. I hope both the hens in these threads recover and thrive! I am also very attached to our chickens (and ducks). Loving animals that can die so easily is definitely a constant lesson in letting go ā˜¹ļø.

I was looking at your vet bill. Did the vet do surgery? If not what was the advise on all the rocks? Do they eventually pass? Iā€™m asking as I also have a darling rock eater!

Back
Top Bottom