Below freezing temps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I bought a water base heater because of all the problems I was having with my heated waterer. I says it is good to 10*. What do you folks do in parts of the country that are well below 0 this time of year. I have read about the cookie tin heater but does that work
    at -10 or so? I haven't had much trouble in the past years as the sun shines in the window and warms things up quite well. This year so far the sun has been hiding. I have had to clean out ice a lot so far this year and am tired of it already. Looking for something to solve this problem. I went so far as to build a insulated house around the heated waterer with a opening for drinking. Still not good enough. Hoping my new heated base will solve the problem as soon as it gets here.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have one of those galvanized heated bases & it worked all last winter. I think you'll be fine.

3. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    you should be ok.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some thoughts below along with pics-I switched to an electric dog bowl, but it's a challenge whatever you use in severe cold. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Try only putting a gallon in at a time. If the waterer is filled to the top it takes more heat to keep it thawed, less water=lower freeze point. It helps anyway. It's been -10 here for a week now. It still has a bit of ice in the morning, but it isn't frozen solid so that's nice.

Or you could hang a heat lamp over your waterer to keep it warmer.

6. tundrachicks

tundrachicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    I got you guys all beat, right now its -41 below outside and my chickens are nice and happy and warm in their coop. I have a galvinized steel waterer with a base heater on all the time. Its got a thermostat to turn off if the waterer is 35 above but it hasnt turned off all winter.

7. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My new heated base arrived last night at 7:30. As soon as it came I plugged it in. It sure gets hot. In the morning I will set it up and give it a go. If it puts out that much heat outside I know where I will find my 10 week olds. Now they just huddle in the corner at night. During the day they roam outside with the others. I hope soon they will learn it is a lot warmer on the roost with the others. Thank you all for the replies. John PS. If I have a problem I will be looking to you all for more magic.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It feels very hot but once you put the water container on top and the air bleeds away a lot of heat, too, you'll see why the element feels this way!

Not as cold as tundrachick, but -23 chill factor today and the heated base kept the waterer in good shape and the electric dog bowl in the coop was working well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  9. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    We use the heated base and then heated dog dishes. Worked fine for us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by