1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Below zero coop Temp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leilani10, Feb 12, 2016.

1. leilani10

leilani10 Out Of The Brooder

Does a light on at night for heat in my coop disturb the sleep of my chickens. I don't heat my coop but it is well insulated. The Arctic cold snap just arrived and they survived this first night just fine. Is the heat light at night just to make me feel better or will it give them some comfort? Seems silly but this is serious to me. Thank You

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As long as the coop is very well ventilated and the birds are healthy, they should be able to handle the cold just fine without heat. When using a heat source in the coop, you have to take into consideration that you may loose a few if the power goes out. Chickens that aren't acclimated to cold temperatures, don't handle sudden drops in temp well.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep them clean, dry, draft free and well fed and watered, and they should do fine. Unless you have a heated waterer, I would recommend watering multiple times during the day. I agree with June b, about supplemental heating and the possibility of a power outage.

4. teria

teria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Salem Utah
    We live in the rocky mountains, where the temps have hovered in the teens to zero many nights in a row, and dipped to minus temps a few times. My girls have done just fine with no supplemental heat or lighting. As already said, keep the coop clean and dry, and feed them prior to closing them in for the night. Always keep their water clean and in these temps watch that it doesn't freeze. Proper ventilation will remove the moisture from the air, leaving them cozy and able to keep themselves warm. Also, make sure they are able to completely cover their feet with their bodies. Roosting bars that are too narrow can leave parts of their feet exposed, and that can lead to frostbite. Watch out for any drafts at roost bar level. If you coop is very large, you may want to make it smaller by creating a barrier wall with tarps to help them hold more heat in. If it is an average size coop, they will be fine.

I understand your worrying about it, and none of us thinks you are being silly. I worried too, and was only convinced that my girls didn't need any extra heat source as I watched them come through this nasty winter we've had without any problems.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    3 good posts above........the first winter is hard, until you get some experience how they can deal with the cold just fine.

6. leilani10

leilani10 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you!!!

7. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

It's zero degrees here tonight and I have my heat lamp on and they all try to huddle up under neath it so I would say they like it

8. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    My first winter I was worried sick. We got into 8 f . And I held out and didn't use supplemental heat. I have a well ventilated coop and they did just fine. Matter a fact it snowed yesterday they free range and foraged in the snowy weather all day. It was a light snow so the ground wasn't completely covered. Then last night it got to 15f and they did just fine. As long as there fed good and have clean unfrozen water. They do good in my experience. I have lost one hen this winter. But I don't think it was cold it was just a sudden death. I looked her over everything looked fine. She never showed symptoms before her death. So I really don't know if she fell of the roost broke her neck. Or just had a heart attack. I kept a close eye on the flock to make sure it wasn't a disease. And I haven't had any problems since. Still mind boggled of what killed her. But I guess sometimes chickens just die.

9. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Yes it snowed here to yesterday with lots of wind and here Monday to Wednesday we are to get 3-6 inches of snow plus some ice

10. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Geez spring can't come soon enough for us chicken lovers lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by