Bengals anyone??

I have 2, 5 year old Bengal mixes, they're wonderful cats. They are very....different than most cats though. They make chirping and "barking" sounds instead of typical meows. Mine climb like monkeys! When they were kittens they'd literally run right up the walls. We've not seen hide nor hair of a mouse since we got them, or mole....I had to take down my bird feeder
hmm.png
They can NOT be trusted with chicks, obviously. But, they leave my adults and hens with chicks alone.
We taught Mojo and Pudge to play fetch and they very much prefer the company of our dogs than any cat they've met. I love my guys, I'll have to take some pics of them
smile.png
yes post away please

Hi there, I searched for Bengal and found this thread as I wanted to see if I had cause for concern for my four chickens. We are getting two Bengal kittens next month, when they will be 12 weeks old.

I have four hens, all quite large breeds and they got along fine with our dear old ginger tom, Spike, who died last month. He is my Avatar and will remain so in homage to the best buddy.

Here are pictures of the two kittens when they were 6 weeks old. Once they are settled I will introduce them to the garden under supervision and then, to the chickens, again, keeping a close eye on everyone especially at first. So glad to hear others have bengal and chicken families too!

Hi there, I searched for Bengal and found this thread as I wanted to see if I had cause for concern for my four chickens. We are getting two Bengal kittens next month, when they will be 12 weeks old.

I have four hens, all quite large breeds and they got along fine with our dear old ginger tom, Spike, who died last month. He is my Avatar and will remain so in homage to the best buddy.

Here are pictures of the two kittens when they were 6 weeks old. Once they are settled I will introduce them to the garden under supervision and then, to the chickens, again, keeping a close eye on everyone especially at first. So glad to hear others have bengal and chicken families too!

They are cute. My Lewey is super active I would keep them away as I would any kitten till they settle down

I keep trying to post pictures of my kitties, but I'm struggling. I just got a new phone and haven't quite figured out how to work it yet.

Spikes Chooks- I've had my 2 boys since they were the size of your cutie (about 8 weeks old when I brought them home). They've never made a a move on my adult chickens. In fact, they're terrified of them. Chicks being raised by hens have been fine as well. Chicks that wander too far or have just been moved out of another brooder are a completely different story though. They don't actively try to break into my brooders or anything, but they gotten a few chick dinners at my expense. But, they are very quick learners. When I see them focusing on my chicks a "pssst" or "ah ah" sends them packing now (I sprayed them with a water bottle as kittens, to train them to keep away from tiny birds).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about big chickens. Your curtains, toilet paper, paper towels and anything else that can be shredded are probably in more danger
1f60a.png

:lau I'm not bothered about paper products, but plan to work on the curtain protection! ("Good luck with that" I hear you say, wryly....)

Pleased the chickens won't be a problem, though. They are pretty confident and stand up for themselves against large sulpher-crested cockatoos that flyn in trying to steal food. So I figure they will assert themselves with the kittens. I suspect, like yours, the Bengals will be more afraid of the chooks than the other way round.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

lau.gif
I'm not bothered about paper products, but plan to work on the curtain protection! ("Good luck with that" I hear you say, wryly....)

Pleased the chickens won't be a problem, though. They are pretty confident and stand up for themselves against large sulpher-crested cockatoos that flyn in trying to steal food. So I figure they will assert themselves with the kittens. I suspect, like yours, the Bengals will be more afraid of the chooks than the other way round.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Oh please post a picture next time you see them in your yard. I love Cockatoos. I used to have a Goffins wish I still did but they seem to shed more dander than other parrots.

No problem! We get 6 or more quite regularly. Here are some photos
All the best

We have several nest boxes up for wildlife - we have nesting microbats, sugar gliders, King Parrots and Kookaburras. This Cockatoo can not possibly fit into the box but was checking it out early in the Spring, so I guess it was considering a new apartment!

Hmmmm. Not so cute when they start chewing on our wooden deck, bannisters, window frames and rails. They are smart though, and I seem to have got them the message that they can eat at one feeder - but if they attack the house - really - I will get mad! The chickens really do help - if the cockatoos get too close to the house or grounds ("their place") they chase them off. Endless joy with all the comings and goings!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom