Bent neck, too long hatching

BeekeeperChick

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 29, 2012
NorCal
Hello! I am hatching out some Black Copper Marans eggs. I put them in the incubator (Janoel 12) on May 13. The first babies were born yesterday (3 of them) and two more in the night. One had cracked it's shell nearly all the way around but could not get out so I assisted by peeling just teeny bits of shell - enough that if it was ready it could finish the job. The membrane was dry and adding moisture wasn't helping given how dry it was. Eventually she broke free but is bent in a 'C' position with her neck bent down and she's wobbly. She could not get off her back and was struggling. I made a cup for her and set her upright. She's about half an hour out of her shell now.

I'm concerned about her bent down neck. Am I doing the right thing or is there more I can do to assist her. Trying not to open the incubator more than necessary since there are still 7 eggs left to hatch.

The backstory is this; I ordered these eggs from eBay with 2 day shipping and they shipped out on the 3rd of May but did not arrive until the 13th!!!! 10 days in the mail. I put them in the incubator anyway and figured I'd know by day 10 if they were viable or not. I had zero expectations that any would hatch but so far the first 5 are doing great.
Thanks in advance for help. (see photo, her feet are up by her chin)

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 39
Hello! I am hatching out some Black Copper Marans eggs. I put them in the incubator (Janoel 12) on May 13. The first babies were born yesterday (3 of them) and two more in the night. One had cracked it's shell nearly all the way around but could not get out so I assisted by peeling just teeny bits of shell - enough that if it was ready it could finish the job. The membrane was dry and adding moisture wasn't helping given how dry it was. Eventually she broke free but is bent in a 'C' position with her neck bent down and she's wobbly. She could not get off her back and was struggling. I made a cup for her and set her upright. She's about half an hour out of her shell now.

I'm concerned about her bent down neck. Am I doing the right thing or is there more I can do to assist her. Trying not to open the incubator more than necessary since there are still 7 eggs left to hatch.

The backstory is this; I ordered these eggs from eBay with 2 day shipping and they shipped out on the 3rd of May but did not arrive until the 13th!!!! 10 days in the mail. I put them in the incubator anyway and figured I'd know by day 10 if they were viable or not. I had zero expectations that any would hatch but so far the first 5 are doing great.
Thanks in advance for help. (see photo, her feet are up by her chin)
Something like this just happened to me last week. I had a Blue Australorp chick that was partialy upside down in the egg and zipped most of the way but could not finish. After about 24 hours I started helping by removing small portions of the shell. She/he eventually broke free but could not straighten its neck and could only move one wing. After close inspection, I noticed that small pieces of the membrane had dried to the down on her head and body keeping her neck bent. The same thing with the wing. After several tense moments with a warm paper towel, I was able to break both free. Three days later and she seems to be recovering.

If the chick had broken it's neck then it would be in trouble but that can't have happened or it would have died so I don't think the neck will have gotten hurt any other way and it should straighten itself.
That is if the chick is strong enough to eventually stand.

Something like this just happened to me last week. I had a Blue Australorp chick that was partialy upside down in the egg and zipped most of the way but could not finish. After about 24 hours I started helping by removing small portions of the shell. She/he eventually broke free but could not straighten its neck and could only move one wing. After close inspection, I noticed that small pieces of the membrane had dried to the down on her head and body keeping her neck bent. The same thing with the wing. After several tense moments with a warm paper towel, I was able to break both free. Three days later and she seems to be recovering.
I checked on her again, no membrane but she's a little less 'C' shaped now though still a little crooked over. I massaged her neck a bit and put her back in the incubator in her cup for now. She's dry but her down looks wet even tho she's not. I'll just keep checking on her. She has a mate that's pipped a hole and has not made progress for about 5 hours. I wet her tiny bit of membrane with a little oil but she may need assistance. Thoughts on how long after pipping a hole that I should assist?

Well a little stint in her cup did the trick. I went to check on her and she had jumped out of her cup and was walking around the incubator, so I moved her to the brooder with her friends. She's all fluffed up now.

Back
Top Bottom