Bent neck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Miss Red, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I got some eggs from my brother and of the two that hatched, they both hatched upside down with bent necks. My daughter calls it Rye neck What can I do?

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Post some pictures. And the term is Wry neck, not rye if you want to look into it more.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Yes it is most likely wry neck. You can give the chicks poly vi sol with no iron to help straighten their necks. It usually work well. I keep the ones with wry neck in the incubator usually because all they do is fall over.

4. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Wait I haven't heard of this and my chicks are hatching saturday! What is this exactly? what do I look for?

5. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Its more of a condition and happens every now and then. I dont think there is enough research to know the exact cause of it. It will be painfully obvious if your chick has it. Between this, pasty butt, and crooked toes, hatching chicks can be a head ache!

The chicks head is tucked under their chests and bent. They usually cant stand well or walk. I leave mine in the incubator and give it poly vi sol vitamins with now iron. I give a few drops once a day.

6. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Quote:Where do I get that?

7. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Walmart in the childs vitamin department.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by