Bermuda grass for chickens/How to make grass grow faster?

Sep 16, 2021
San Ramon, CA
What kind of grass is fast-growing and strong enough to not immediately die after being stepped on a few times? Is Bermuda grass good for chickens? Also, any tips/ideas on how to get it to grow faster? It ranges 50-65 degrees during the day and 35-45 degrees at night.

*Also they have around 40-50 sq feet per bird.

You might want to look up your natural native plants and grasses for the best fit long term. You can also grow things like clover and creeping thyme for ground cover with higher nutritional value. I'm in the south and we have an invasion of Johnson's grass, it grows up to 12 feet and I can't kill the stuff when I try. The chickens haven't conquered it yet either, I'm now considering getting a goat to help keep it in check.
IMG_20211229_170341.jpg

I haven't mowed this spot in a bit because I had some my little quail brooder sitting here. This is my Brahma-Orpington mix investigating after I removed them.

Do you think it would be okay if they stayed in their run for now and once the grass finished growing, they could come out? I'm 90% sure they will destroy it quickly, though-
I'd use some kind of cover like tacky straw, they sell it will grass seed already in it too. I can't recall the brand offhand but they sell it at tractor supply and on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom