Berthoud \ NOCO

Hey, sorry I don't log in very often, also in Berthoud.

I didn't realize the feed store changed owners, I hope the chick ordering works out for you. I am working towards a model where I hatch all my own chicks in the future, but it will be limited in breed, since I don't plan on running a hatchery. Anyhow, also keep in mind that the feed stores, like Murdoch's and Jax all bring in chicks you can go in and buy at the store. They generally are all medicated, so if that is something you DON'T want, then you need to avoid the feed stores. Not sure if Berthoud placed orders that included or excluded medication.

Anyhow, enjoy your baby chicks! I'll have to go visit the feed store, and see what's up. I'll miss Bill, he was a really nice guy.

OK, catch up time.
Brooder built...

It's a sterlite 100gal tub w\wood frame cut out and chicken wire top.

daughter painting the legs. She does a good job painting!

I cut a hole in the top and sandwiched 2 frames together with the chicken wire. Free pallet wood floor planks\ ripped in half down the center secured with 2" cabinet screws. Chicken wire FREE from Craigslist.

$10 Sterilite tub (Wal-Mart), Small window thermometer, maybe a $ or $2 (Free around the house), Chick feeder and water from Murdocks $6+ total. Free diaper box w\ hole cut in it for a cool heat lamp retreat.

Wireless Thermometer transmitter on the right. $9.99 @ ACE Hardware(this will be moved to the coop for permanent use later & Brooder lamp ($10)+ bulb ($9.99) Wal-mart.

Last edited:
Here's some Coop progress pictures...

heat lamp socket on the ceiling.

vinyl floor installed.

large south window.

nest door.

Clean out door

removable divider.

removable shelf, for clean up.

In case anyone is looking, Berthoud Feed has RIR's & Barred Rock chicks available.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom