besides cornish x whats a good meatie

Quote:
I've been thinking about this ever since I got chickens, and I have a few theories (because I overthink everything).

First, the reason I even thought of it is because I grew up on a farm. A farm that has been in my family for over 100 years. I'm not terribly knowledgable on farms/farming (I'm female, so wasn't expected to do much farming, and just generally didn't pay any attention) but I would imagine it would be considered on the large side for a family farm. And we, like just about every old farm, had an old chicken coop.

Farming overall is hard work. It was 100 years ago and, in different ways, it is today. And being a farmers wife is hard work (although that I believe has become a slightly easier job over the years), and it would be my guess that 50+ years ago, when chickens were more popular, much of the care and feeding of chickens fell on the wife. So when chicken and eggs became easier to get elsewhere, as refrigerators became more widely used and grocery stores became bigger and more accessible (we could drive to them, food could be transported to them from miles and miles away) it became a question of "why raise chickens when I can buy the meat and eggs- it's one less thing I have to do."

And I also kind of blame broilers for the downfall in chicken popularity. If raised and managed properly chickens can be downright easy to raise- if you give them enough space, a secure coop, and use the deep litter method (which isn't new- I have old farming/homesteading books that refer to it) there is little maintainance. Then along come broilers (which I do love, but hear me out) which were supposed to get big fast, meaning meat faster, and people just threw them into their existing chicken setup (poorly ventilated chicken coop and small yard). Well, we all know what happens when broilers are in one spot too long- yucky smelly poo mess! AND there isn't a lot to love, personality wise, with broilers, so between the mess and the lack of personality I believe people began to become disenchanted with chickens.

But now there isn't something that the farmers knew that we don't- we are doing it for a different reason. They kept chickens because if they wanted eggs and chickens, they HAD to. We do it because we want to. We also have this awesome resource (BYC and the internet in general) where we can learn awesome management and other tips and tricks to make our chicken raising experience much more pleasant- I would have never thought to tractor my broilers (would have, in fact, done exactly what I said above) had it not been for this site. Now instead of piles of broiler poo to clean up I have a fertilized yard! But the internet has made this possible- I had the same "theory" when I was using cloth diapers for my kids- cloth has been around forever, but had kind of fallen out of favor with disposible being widely available. But now, due to a growing feeling of responsibility, more people are interested. And thanks to the internet problems that plagued cloth diaperers in the past (like smell) are easier to figure out and deal with.

That said- I'm still raising Cornish X for my meat chickens, because it works best for my setup and climate.

I'm doing cornish crosses at the moment, they're my first meaties and I started small, with 8. I got them from the local TSC.
I am planning on growing out 25 freedom rangers this fall, but I wanted to see if butchering my own chickens was for me, which is why I bought what was available at Tractor Supply.
From what I've read Freedom Rangers are a good alternative and because of where I live, ordering these guys will only cost me $8 in shipping.

Quote:
thank you for your great response. Brandislee said it well. I talk to people about raising a garden and a lot of the old timers say the same thing. "why should I do all that work when I can buy it cheaper from the store" I personally don't want it cheaper, I want it better. has anyone seen food inc? I want to know what is going into my food. I want to know that my meat was treated with respect and was harvested in a respectful way. I raise some heirloom vegetables because they taste better, they may be a bit more difficult to raise. (not disease or bug tolerant) but when I slice a tomato and put it on a slice of bread, mmmm. I'm not sure what bird I'll be getting next time, but you all have given me a lot to think about and work with.
Thank you
stillstoked

A lot of small farms were wiped out in the late 70 and early 80's.

It's more profitable grow and sell grain. To compete in the marketplace you need economies of scale 50,000 head chicken houses. Consumers demand low prices and the market responded.

Around here the small farms are all but regulated out of existance, more than 100 layers, 300 meat birds or 50 turkeys and you need to hold a quota which is big money and the whole quota thing is pretty much locked up by industrial production farming opperations so even if you have the money you still need to find availible quota and bid for it.

Then there are the regulatory challenges of being able to actually sell your product. Shipping animals 100 miles to be processed in an inspected facility at small order priemium pretty much does in any lingering hope for profitability.

Anyway back to breeds, heritage white rocks if you can find them are an option, Chantclers also look to have good potential as resilient white feathered dual purpose with pretty good growth and weight.​

Back
Top Bottom