Besides treats is there another way to tane a hen to like me and jump on my lap maybe

Is there a way??
Repetitive handling, but it's not guaranteed. Lots of my hens that have been sick in the past and were handled a lot to give medicines or put to bed at night are now lap friendly.

I have one hen that I took care of hand feeding a week, and doesnt even flinch now when I pick her up. And she jumps on my lap often, but it is for wanting treats.

Other hens were handled when young and now jump on my lap, but I think the common thread between all of my lap hens is that they were sick at one time, and hand fed medicines and treats over several weeks.

If you are avoiding treats for nutritional reasons, you can offer wet mash (just water in their regular feed). Put a small bowl in and let them try it. Next time, put it in near where you are sitting. Each day moving it closer to you. Then try putting the bowl in your hand to see if they’ll eat out of it. Then on your lap etc. Wet mash is just their regular feed but for some reason when it’s wet lots of chickens think it’s a treat! Lol

Back
Top Bottom