Best advice ever from here

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Last year I read that someone on here used Vanilla scented car freshners in their coop to keep away flies. I had a huge fly problem, hung up 3 and in 20 minutes virtually all the flies were gone.

Last year I read that someone on here used Vanilla scented car freshners in their coop to keep away flies. I had a huge fly problem, hung up 3 and in 20 minutes virtually all the flies were gone.
Good to know, I'll have to give this a try when they are in the coop full-time

I don't know about mosquitos but you can purchase something called a mosquito plant that smells like citronella. Or lemongrass. I got mine at Walmart. I planted them in pots and put them on either side of the porch and on each side of the kids swingset and they stay away. And we used to have them BAD. I am talking getting a dozen bites on the way to the car:(

Depending on the area you live I wonder if planting vanilla plants near your run would work just the same? Then you wouldn't be constantly changing out air fresheners? lol I looked into it but I don't think it would work for me..... to cold and They would have to be in direct sun in the only spot I could plant them..... But maybe 1 plant in a pot near it would work?
Worth a shot to test it maybe?

Back
Top Bottom