best advice you have

My chicks are three days old. Is it too late to vaccinate them?

Hi I was told that the reason the vaccine is given at hatch is because Mareks is so prevalent. I was also told that you CAN vaccinate older chicks. it wont hurt them. HOWEVER, it might be too late to protect them as well. it would have to be a personal judgement decision. If they are not already exposed it can protect them. But they consider being outside or around other birds "exposed". The thing is there is no way to know. So if they were mine I likely would take the chance and vaccinate anyway. it can't hurt and only help..You can order the vaccine online along with syringes. it's given UNDER the skin only. on back of neck. of course I can't say your birds haven't already been exposed and it will protect them. but what if they haven't been exposed? That's where the personal decision comes in and only YOU can decide what you want to do. Sorry I can't be of more help. if you decide to go ahead I'd do it soon. I hope this helps .

Hi I was told that the reason the vaccine is given at hatch is because Mareks is so prevalent. I was also told that you CAN vaccinate older chicks. it wont hurt them. HOWEVER, it might be too late to protect them as well. it would have to be a personal judgement decision. If they are not already exposed it can protect them. But they consider being outside or around other birds "exposed". The thing is there is no way to know. So if they were mine I likely would take the chance and vaccinate anyway. it can't hurt and only help..You can order the vaccine online along with syringes. it's given UNDER the skin only. on back of neck. of course I can't say your birds haven't already been exposed and it will protect them. but what if they haven't been exposed? That's where the personal decision comes in and only YOU can decide what you want to do. Sorry I can't be of more help. if you decide to go ahead I'd do it soon. I hope this helps .

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure. They were barely 12 hours old when I brought them home from the hatchery and haven't left the germ free comfort of their brooder since. They won't be going outside for a while since there's still snow on the ground. Aside from some minor pasty butt, they seem to be thriving. Im not worried about them right now, but when they go outside for the first time I want them to be as prepared as possible. I'll talk it over with my husband and do some more research. Thanks again!

You can still vaccinate for Marek's yourself if you decide it is what you want to do. Not sure about timing of the Cocci vaccine.

I hatch my own chicks and do not vaccinate for either, nor do I give medicated feed. I have yet to have an affected bird of either disease. However it is up to every flock owner to decide for him/herself how to best manage the flock. Some have pets and any loss is unacceptable, so vaccination is more of a consideration. Others want to breed for resistance and want susceptible birds removed from breeding. It is an individual decision.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure. They were barely 12 hours old when I brought them home from the hatchery and haven't left the germ free comfort of their brooder since. They won't be going outside for a while since there's still snow on the ground. Aside from some minor pasty butt, they seem to be thriving. Im not worried about them right now, but when they go outside for the first time I want them to be as prepared as possible. I'll talk it over with my husband and do some more research. Thanks again!

your welcome . Sorry I couldnt be more help. Me personally, I Always vaccinate now. I've personally watched the destruction of a beautiful flock from Mareks disease. It was my old breeders flock . She said she never vaccinated and never had a problem...UNTIL Mareks struck her flock. She could no longer sell her birds and lost some of the most beautiful birds I've seen. She was devastated! it was so sad. After that, I try to always do the Mareks vaccine. She didn't live to far from me. I figured it could as easily happen to me.

I think that understanding what kinds of predators you have in your area, and how to build your coop and run to guard against them, is very important. There is lots of great advice about that here.

Also, don't be shy about asking questions. I asked every dumb question I possibly could have asked in my first several months with chickens, and everyone on here has always been kind, patient, and extremely helpful. This site is really a great resource.

Are you saying you don't put them under a light outside? And in one of your other posts, you talked about a Mama Heating Pad. Can you tell me more, please?

Sally, here's the article associated with the Mama Heating Pad. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors For future reference, this forum is super easy to navigate in to find information that has been discussed in the past. At the top of your screen, in the blue bar, there is a search bar. Just type any topic in there, and hit search. It will bring up all of the relevant threads.

Hello. I am a newbie. I am curious about the "nipple feeder'. What is the best way to water them? I will be getting 8 new chicks the middle of March. What is the best way to water them? We were thinking of keeping them in a cat carrier for a couple of nights to keep them warm. It is still cool here at night in Las Vegas. Thanks....newbie Teri

Back
Top Bottom