1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best age to kill for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hopefulloflove, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    At what age do you want to kill a bird for the best meat? Newbie here and just wondering...thanks!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:It really depends on what kind of bird your raising!! Can you give a little more information??

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    like said, depends on the bird you're raising. a cornish cross, 6-8 weeks. a freedom ranger, 12-14 weeks.

also depends on what you're planning on doing them. a fryer is not as big as a roaster, for example.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    8 weeks Pekin, 10 weeks Appleyard, 6-8 months, geese. 8 weeks Cornish Cross, 10-12 weeks rabbits.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Coming from one of the experts that I always take advice from. I agree.

6. munithman

munithman New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    I raised freedom rangers this year and slaughtered at 13 weeks. I think that I should have let them go two more weeks. They dressed out just a tad small. Last year I raised dual purpose birds and they slaughtered slightly bigger. But the tendons were tough as they totally free ranged each day. But honestly the freedom rangers are the best birds I have ever eaten.

7. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Processing a meat bird is really personal preference on how big of a finished product you want. I just butchered 4 cornish cross pullets on Monday and they were 11 weeks. Maybe a little on the larger side but someone gave me a bag of Purina Show Chow which is what I had been feeding so I kept feeding them for a few more weeks. I also work third shift with a day off every 4 days and work every other weekend so I don't have an ideal schedule for doing the deed.

Commercial producers will process at 5-6 weeks - recommended 8 weeks - as they put on more weight, it is more stressful on their legs as they are just not intended to carry a massive body weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by