Best Age to Sell Roosters?

Putting them in jars has at least a years shelf-life with no refrigeration required... you put your love into the birds I just feel its best for you(the owner) to be the one to do it. Plus if you jar them, you can also buy store bought chicken meat to jar to and not label. Given some time you won't know which jar is which and it will help with the emotional part.
Thankfully I do my best not to get attached to chickens I intend to sell or eat.

How do I jar chicken? I like the idea of long shelf lives.

Thankfully I do my best not to get attached to chickens I intend to sell or eat.

How do I jar chicken? I like the idea of long shelf lives.
Just clean/feather and cut into quarters add to jar, cover in seasoning... add veggies, rice etc... seasoning etc and add water if desired (not required, weird I know). Then simply can the jar like normal (double boiler or something) it both cooks/seals etc all at once. Store in your pantry.

Meat falls off the bone and the bones tend to make a broth.

I raise 4 different auto-sexing breeds so I can sex my chicks earlier. My cockerels are raised separate from the pullets in a chicken tractor until harvested to make processing easier(not get attached to them)
I have the 4 in a pretty large dog kennel with the bottom off and I move it around the yard as a temporary tractor until I can build a permanent one.

Just clean/feather and cut into quarters add to jar, cover in seasoning... add veggies, rice etc... seasoning etc and add water if desired (not required, weird I know). Then simply can the jar like normal (double boiler or something) it both cooks/seals etc all at once. Store in your pantry.

Meat falls off the bone and the bones tend to make a broth.
I will keep that in mind!

I have 17 chicks for sale and the ones who don't sell will be food, so I may have a large amount of meat, so I may do that!

Very handy if processing a large amount. Add more salt to get a longer self life, easily 1yr+ plus keeps you from having to do one rooster at time etc...
Thank you for all the info about jarring! Would this work with silkie cockerels or are they simply too small/not enough meat to be worth it? You can’t even give boys away here. When you do this, do you drain out all the blood and gut them, and then cut off legs, head, etc?

Back
Top Bottom