Best All-Around Chicken Breed?

There is a best all-around chicken breed based on my criteria. I know a little about chickens. :) We are having a discussion here for information for people and for fun.

Some of the breeds you mentioned have been mentioned by others in this thread.

Dominique is an excellent all-around chicken breed. The first American chicken breed, Pilgrim Fowl. They may be a little on the small side. If they were a little bigger, they would probably win for all-around chicken breed based on my criteria.

The Sussex is another very good breed. The Speckled Sussex is the most common. From what I could find, I think they would probably lay less than 200 eggs a year. I know different strains will have different characteristics. That is why a strain can be very important also.

I think the Australorp could be a contender for best all-around chicken breed. It lays well, is heavy enough to be a good meat bird, forages well, is hardy in heat or cold, and goes broody sometimes.

That is a good point you made when discussing Leghorns. A person probably only needs to have a couple of broody hens to do the work of raising chicks. A person might be able to breed Leghorns up in size some to have a very good all-around chicken, but that would take a long time.
X2
For a large mediterranean breed that lays lots of huge eggs and very good forging and heat hardiness, consider Minorca.

I was think about getting some Jersey Giants. How do you feel about them?
They are like the Great Dane of the chicken world. The only time I had issues with my two is when they they hit that hormonal stage around 5-6 momths. They know that they are a big bird, so they try to intimidate you but you just have to stand your ground.

I actually have a stick called "The Sid Stick" It used to be "The Squatch Stick", It's not to hit them. I use it to keep a distance between me and them when they are younger so that they know I need that distance from them unless I ask them to come closer. Squatch has kept a healthy distance from me since I did that with him and now I am doing it with Sid because he is at that hormonal stage. Sid has matured a lot slower than Squatch and I am not sure why.

They are very great with the ladies and they have chased off predators. We had a hawk that tried to come into the fenced-in area and they stood their ground. They made sure that all the ladies got into the coop and were safe. I know not all roosters do this and it's usually the luck of the draw.

Every morning they will do a head count of all the ladies that are outside and sometimes some of them will still be sleeping in the coop, which causes them to panic :lol: and they are quite loud.

They are very mellow and calm birds, I will probably always keep them in my flock. I'm not sure about the laying aspect, but people who have owned them have told me they lay between four and five eggs a week.

They aren't aggressive when they mate, but you have to make sure that you get ladies that can handle them. I would go with bigger, fuller breeds for ladies.

They make gorgeous chicks...

This is a Jersey Giant red sex link cross at 18 days old

IMG_20191119_103556~2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have to say that in that criteria, New Hamspire's would be the best. At least the ones I am familiar with. Nice table bird around 16 weeks. I think his 12 week old birds are better for grilling and frying as they cook more evenly imo, with a carcass weight of 3-3.5lbs. The 16 week birds are around 4-5 lbs dressed. The gentleman started with chicks from Henry Noll years ago and selected for fast growth and early muscle over time. Much faster growing and better carcass than the whitmore Delawares I am familiar with.

You'd be surprised at some of the leghorns out there. Some lines have decent meat and some tend to go broody.

I'd have to say that in that criteria, New Hamspire's would be the best. At least the ones I am familiar with. Nice table bird around 16 weeks. I think his 12 week old birds are better for grilling and frying as they cook more evenly imo, with a carcass weight of 3-3.5lbs. The 16 week birds are around 4-5 lbs dressed. The gentleman started with chicks from Henry Noll years ago and selected for fast growth and early muscle over time. Much faster growing and better carcass than the whitmore Delawares I am familiar with.

You'd be surprised at some of the leghorns out there. Some lines have decent meat and some tend to go broody.
I had New Hampshires at one point and I wasn't impressed with their personality. Maybe it was just the ones that I got!

The New Hampshire was bred from the Rhode Island Red. It seems the Rhode Island Red is bred more for eggs and the New Hampshire was bred a little more for meat. I think either of these breeds could be very good all-around chicken breeds.

That would be interesting -- Leghorns bred larger and with some broodiness. I am sure some egg-laying ability would be sacrificed in the process.

It is always a balance with eggs, meat, and broodiness. If you have a breed of chickens that lays an average of 250 eggs in their first year, has hens that weigh at least 6 pounds and roosters that weigh at least 8 pounds, and some of the hens go broody after a year old, you would be well on your way to having the best all-around chicken breed.

Back
Top Bottom