1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Auto-Waterer In-Coop klDesign EVER!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Orpstralope, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    The other day I found an old box of demo waterers from a poultry show at an office were getting ready to move out of and threw them in the back of the truck to try them out and BOY have I been satisfied. They're only distributed to "bigger than backyard-chickeneers", but if you EVER come across something like this I would totally recommend trying it out! The only downfall is that if the pipes freeze - you're in the hole! They're made by a company from Goldsboro, NC (I think). But here goes the description: I installed it in my coop/chicken shed so that I can regulate the pressure, connect a hose, and get water from another source in the coop! I'm going to put a few pictures in here and sorry if they're not rotated correctly but you'll see the general idea. Also this is just a recommendation for an easy way to water 20+ chickens, not a marketing campaign! And please excuse the leaky hose, it's fixed now but took a little Teflon tape to get the job done!

Here's a Picture of the hose connecting to the PVC Plumbing (Ball Valve, Pressure Regulator, and PSI Gauge shown):
    [​IMG]

This is the actual waterer - the water comes out of the holes in the top. (kinda have to clean them out occasionally):
    [​IMG]

Piping to the roof with on off switch connecting to PVC (sideways):
    [​IMG]

They're really handy if you have to leave 3 weekends out of a month.

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool. Thank you for posting!

3. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    those are nice, got 2 myself just a little difference but they are a lot older, i never could get those pressure regulators to work for very long so i have a 10 gal bucket hanging with a float in it to shut the water of thus reduceing the pressure, but i love them they are great.

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Im looking for a very easy I can do myself watering system, DH is so over chickens...lol.

I have like 35 in my flock and 4 coops...watering when its cold espeically is hard for me. This is great, wonder how I could do this on my own...but for freezing pipes why not cover them with that foam pipe covers you use on your outside pipes in winter, and then tape it heavy? might help or even old towels, wrap in plastic and then tape, fixed it up nice?

I know there is a bucket plan somewhere for watering but Im not sure I can drill a hole and put in the gadgets to make one.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by