Best Automatic Chicken Door Openers???

Quote:
I think I need to build a cover / roof for the door mechanism. I'm not sure if its the door pins that are freezing or the motor or what. I'm thinking if I hit it with some silicone lube & keep the rain & snow off of it it may be OK.

Right now I have the add-a-motor on one coop and no problems yet. I was thinking of getting the pulletshut door for my other coop since it's not suited for a guillotine door, but if it has problems in cold weather I'll think again - we've been at zero for two nights here.

I have the same one and love it but have just noticed this past week it has not been openning all the way. The cold does affect it. I check my girls every morning and night so the door only opening part way still allows me a time buffer in the morning. It has always closed which allows me to get home after dark. Overall I still love it and my runs off electric. The other thng I like is it closes slow so when my girls where half in the door one night it gave them reaction time to get on in without pinching them. Good luck;>

Quote:

Last edited:
I think I fixed it.

I went out with the torch & worked it at about 6 inches away from the door in order to just melt out the ice. Once it was all melted & the door would open & close using the magnet & sprayed the heck out of the brass bolts & bushings with WD40. The WD not only lubricated the brass bushing, but it displaced the water preventing it from freezing up again.

The door has opened & closed all by itself for the last couple of days! problem hopefully solved!

I also got an email from the manufacturer. That guy is really nice & has agreed to help me figure out any issues I've had. I'm still really happy with the door. Glad its working again now.

Door has been working fine for several days now despite the cold - I think I got some ice in the door bushings/henges. Once I worked that out & shot some WD on there its back to its good ol perfect self.

I really do recommend this one - Plus the guy who makes them emailed & said he has a new low power circuit board & an optional solar power unit now. So the battery should last much longer.

Quote:
I'm just a little ways North of you and have no problems running my auto door off a solar panel. You just need to make sure it's sized appropriately and clear off any snow.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom