Best Automatic Coop Door Opener? (Chicken Guard Door Was a Flop)

I have the Pullet Shut door. Battery operated but also has a charger if you have electricity to your coop. This is the newly installed door on my current project. My first one was purchased 3 years ago and aside from oil for the hinges occasionally it has operated flawlessly even through the bitter cold Pa. winters. Works on photo sensor opens at daylight, closes at dusk. It has a second open/close at dusk for late-comers. My birds have learned that the door opens and closes a second time and they patiently wait to be let inside.
IMG_2258.JPG

(Duplicating my post from another thread)

I have a JVR timer model I got from Amazon, and am pleased with it.

https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automati...99884799&sprefix=jvr+automatic,aps,756&sr=8-6

With this model the door always hangs from the actuator arm, by a ~1.5" vertical slot ... that way if a bird gets in the way it will not be killed, and very likely will be able to pull its head out. Also, the door shuts very slowly, maybe 1 inch/second, and makes a distinctive whirring noise that the birds can recognize.
We bought the same model and have nothing but problems with it. We tried to contact the support and they are not helpful. They wanted us to uninstall the motor and take it apart. I am not a tech person so their instructions (via email once they finally arrived) made no sense. Therefore, the door stopped working completely. Only worked with the clicker for about two weeks. Sad about it. Really wanted to like it. Now we are looking for a new one. Feel we wasted a lot of money.

I have the Pullet Shut door. Battery operated but also has a charger if you have electricity to your coop. This is the newly installed door on my current project. My first one was purchased 3 years ago and aside from oil for the hinges occasionally it has operated flawlessly even through the bitter cold Pa. winters. Works on photo sensor opens at daylight, closes at dusk. It has a second open/close at dusk for late-comers. My birds have learned that the door opens and closes a second time and they patiently wait to be let inside.
View attachment 2342724
@Rebel58 How far up is your door? I am trying to keep my goose out and was wondering how far they can jump up. I was also thinking about adding a platform with no ramp.

Last edited:
View attachment 2342724
Do you think this door can be used with a timer instead of the light sensor? I live in northern CA and we have a lot of fog or overcast. The light sensors get confused with our weather, lol.

Do you think this door can be used with a timer instead of the light sensor? I live in northern CA and we have a lot of fog or overcast. The light sensors get confused with our weather, lol.
I just bought the Pullet Shut door because they say you can set it on a timer instead but I wont' actually receive it until Tuesday. It seems a bit tedious to change but I'll report back after I manage to do it.

Back
Top Bottom