Best backyard bug killer that won’t harm my chickens

How about a bug zapper instead of a chemical?
Edited to say, whoops, I see now that that was already suggested.
Haha yeah. We were actually at our local farm store today and found a mosquito trap. It’s similar to the fly bags or the Japanese beetle traps. The box says it’s proven to significantly reduce the population in the area but we will see in the next couple weeks. If all fails we will just invest in a few bug zappers for around the coops. Fingers crossed that this works🤞

We have one of these that we like: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...kifjxAhWNZd8KHbcCAkwQwg96BAgBEB8&dct=1&adurl=
One thing I like about it is that it's more targeted than most bug zappers- when I clean it out the majority of the dead bugs are mosquitoes or biting flies. I think it's related to how it attracts them, biting insects are drawn in but desirable species aren't. We really like it. We've had it for two and it's still going strong.
Also look around your area for standing water that they're using to breed. If you can't dump it, try putting a piece of cotton fabric into it to wick out the water or get some BT granules: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wiNiKDKi_jxAhW-KVkFHRhLCRAQwg96BAgBEDE&adurl=
The granules use a bacteria that infects and kills mosquito larvae.

I grow lavender and sprinkle essential oil, lavender scented around the yard. Mosquitoes don't like the smell of lavender, I'm not sure of the gnats. I do live across the road from a large pond and a creek, I am considered to be on wetland and I don't have a bad mosquito problem on my land but as soon as I cross the road to get the mail, I get swarmed with mosquitoes so I have to brush up against lavender before going to get the mail.

We have one of these that we like: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...kifjxAhWNZd8KHbcCAkwQwg96BAgBEB8&dct=1&adurl=
One thing I like about it is that it's more targeted than most bug zappers- when I clean it out the majority of the dead bugs are mosquitoes or biting flies. I think it's related to how it attracts them, biting insects are drawn in but desirable species aren't. We really like it. We've had it for two and it's still going strong.
Also look around your area for standing water that they're using to breed. If you can't dump it, try putting a piece of cotton fabric into it to wick out the water or get some BT granules: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wiNiKDKi_jxAhW-KVkFHRhLCRAQwg96BAgBEDE&adurl=
The granules use a bacteria that infects and kills mosquito larvae.
I have thought about investing in a dyna trap. They are a little costly for a bug zapper but I’m assuming they’re worth it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. If the mosquitoe traps that I’ve hung up today don’t start working within the middle of next month I may consider dgetting one of those for next year. Only thing I’m wondering is if I’d have a long enough extension cord lol.

I grow lavender and sprinkle essential oil, lavender scented around the yard. Mosquitoes don't like the smell of lavender, I'm not sure of the gnats. I do live across the road from a large pond and a creek, I am considered to be on wetland and I don't have a bad mosquito problem on my land but as soon as I cross the road to get the mail, I get swarmed with mosquitoes so I have to brush up against lavender before going to get the mail.
This is another great idea. I really didn’t want to use a pesticide or chemical of any kind. So I think i might try this. We don’t have any standing water although it has been very wet due to rainy weather a week ago and the ground is still pretty wet in spots.

Bug zappers. Water bottles 1/4 full of apple cider vinegar hung around.

You'll never get them all. Don't waste your money and create more headaches with pesticides
Bug zappers are a great 2 for one. Gets rid of bugs and gives chickens a fried treat. Thing to think about with bug spray is the chickens will be eating the bugs. And then you eat the eggs. I’d be really Leary of feeding my chickens poison and then feeding my kids the eggs.

Permethrin is highly toxic to fishI’ve read that it’s not safe for them to ingest. I know a lot of farmers and livestock owners use that product but I’m just a little nervous about it.
Not sure about that. I have sprayed the birds according to the directions when I had a mite and lice issue. It also did a good jog on controlling flies. As a bonus there is no egg withdrawal period as there is with other products. This is what I found.
Permethrin is an insecticide in the pyrethroid family. Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals that act like natural extracts from the chrysanthemum flower. Permethrin is used in a number of ways to control insects. Products containing permethrin may be used in public health mosquito control programs. They may be used on food and feed crops, on ornamental lawns, on livestock and pets, in structures and buildings, and on clothing. Permethrin may also be used in places where food is handled, such as restaurants. Products containing permethrin may be liquids, powders, dusts, aerosol solutions, sprays, and treated clothing. Permethrin is used in cattle ear tags and flea collars, or in spot-on treatments for dogs. There are currently more than 1400 registered products containing permethrin. Some products are used to treat scabies and head lice on people. These products are drugs and are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Permethrin is highly toxic to fish and bees. Also not good for cats so if you have cats they should be kept away while treating. Good luck

Bug zappers are a great 2 for one. Gets rid of bugs and gives chickens a fried treat. Thing to think about with bug spray is the chickens will be eating the bugs. And then you eat the eggs. I’d be really Leary of feeding my chickens poison and then feeding my kids the eggs.
Yes I agree. Honestly when I posted this I didn’t think of bug zappers my mind was “ I want to kill all the mosquitoes” lol. I didn’t want to use a pesticide unless it was 100% safe for them to ingest. I agree with not wanting to eat poisoned eggs or meat and I especially don’t want to risk making my birds sick or potentially killing them on accident. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

Back
Top Bottom