Best Bantam?

iluvmypoultry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
What do you think is the best bantam? The nicest? Easiest to care for? Best for show? I want to possibly get a bantam.. I really like sebrights. But, are there any other possibilities? What do you think?
tongue.png

okay in my experience...

cochins are dumpy when they run and they are easy to catch once you corner them. they make really funny chortling noises. funniest things. really fat therefore pretty cold hardy. once you catch them they enjoy being held, and will perch on your shoulder and have a conversation with you. really friendly birds.

wyandottes are SMART and stubborn and hard to catch. they are assertive but not aggressive. in my experience they are big sissies. the silver laced and blue laced red are really gorgeous, beautiful birds.

ameraucanas are smart and cute. i have lav chicks and they are absolutely GORGEOUS. i have a few chicks who are already flying out of the brooder to say hi to me. this is at 1.5 weeks old. i can imagine them flying out of my yard when they are bigger so i plan to clip their feathers.

silkies are dumpy, lumpy, and really laid back. i would get this breed if you're looking for an indoor-companion type bird. from what i understand they try to hatch anything, even a golf ball. probably the friendliest (to humans) chicken, but from what i understand they like to keep to their own kind chickenwise and should be penned only with other silkies. they can not jump high or fly because they are all fluff. maybe 5 inches off the ground.

my friend has a sebright and she has issues with her flying too high and out of they yard/pen.

edited to say: if you like sebright you might want to consider wyandottes. they have the same pretty color but they can not fly as high.

Last edited:
Well i LOVE D'uccles. The only thing with them is they are a feather-footed breed so they would need to live in deep shavings. But they have great temperaments, silkies are really ideal too! What kind of shows do you plan on doing?

I'd say Ameraucana I have Black and Blue Wheatens/Wheatens and they are smart probably too smart for their own good. They also are very calm and easy to handle. They can get wild if you don't work with them. They are sweet hearts and really acknowledge their owners and they will even talk to you. They can also be very friendly. One day I went out and my sister was laying down in the yard with a sleeping Bantam Ameraucana on her chest!! They are also easy to show and take care of.

yeah i agree with you greencastle... i already like my ameraucanas more than my cochins because of their wit and temperament. i would not say that my cochins are the smartest bunch.

Quote:
You definatly have to stay on your toes with them...just like today I thought two of them got out and eaten but they actually were moving around and hiding from me because they didn't want to be caught. They are super intellegent and actually engage their owners. They are my absolute favorite breed I will probably not own another breed. We just click together. You will know what breed is the right one for you because when you talk about them you will feel all gitty and you will just never get enough of them. You'll never be able to quit talking about them! I love mine. I need to post more pics on my website of them

First of all, I have silkies and houdans (not Houdan bantams) and I think that Houdans are far friendlier, calmer and just nicer to be around. My silkies weren't hand raised, as the breeder said he had no time, so that could be why, but my silkies are shy, skittish and noisy (I can hear one of my girls goin' off now!) But also, Im in Australia, so the behaviour and things could be different...

Good luck though!

Back
Top Bottom