Best bator for quail?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Having read all the sticky on quail (well converted I am) I am now doing a cost sheet for getting some which brings me to my question.............

What is the best incubator to get for hatching their eggs?

Having read all morning about incubators I have bogged down reading about still air, circulating air, auto turn, manual turn, digital and the like
th.gif

Time to have a cuppa tea and ask real people instead of reading advertising blurbs
wink.png

So, what bator do you like best and why?

Sign me up too. I kinda think I want to start with some hatched chicks or started birds, to make sure I don't get bogged down with too much expensive equipment if it doesn't work out. (As if anyone ever quits quail once they start!) But just in case... what are your favorite entry-level 'bators? I read some of the other threads and it sounds like many of the chicken people like the Octagons...

Thanks for starting this thread, GB!

The best incubator is one that is consistent in temps and humidity.
wink.png
Quail eggs are easy to hand turn, by placing your hand gently on the eggs and rolling them over, several at a time. But, if you're partly lazy like me, place them in a carton and tip the whole carton from side to side several times a day. I use a homemade incubator, or a cabinet incubator, with a turner for my quail. I have had chicks get burnt by the heating elements in LGs and Hovabators, so I only use them for incubating, not hatching. Either forced air or still air will work, as long as it is consistent and holds temps well.

Last edited:
I built a 'bator based on MissPrissy's plans with some modifications. It works great and didn't cost me very much - probably around $50. It took me and my fiance an evening to do most of the work.

A lightbulb provides the heat, a thermostat regulates the temperature, there's a tray for water in the bottom, a fan ciruclates air, and I have the eggs in a carton that I can turn from the outside.

I'm no expert and I've only hatched out two batches of quail. I have an Octagon 20 Advance and I love it. It was so easy to use both times. I am now incubating Marans and Rhode Island Reds in it and have even ordered an Octagon Eco to expand and be able to hatch more eggs at a time. The Eco should be arriving today!

I have a hova-bator with forced air. I've hatched 2 batches of 40+ eggs with good reasults. It holds temps really well. I use a LG to hatch in.

All we are planning to hatch are quail to start but you know how it goes, plans change
wink.png

I have found someone on ebay that is selling home made ones for $150 that look really good, with LOTS of room inside, but we made one ourselves once and it was a nightmare, temps all over the map and humidity that wouldnt go up when needed so we only hatched 3 out of 10 eggs:barnie

I swore then never to go home made again but tight budgets call for flexable thinking
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom