Best Bedding To Use While Treating Splay Leg?

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
Whats the best bedding to use while trying to treat splay leg on a chick? Is rubber shelf liner on top of pine bedding good to use? The poor baby can't get any traction on just pine shavings. Thanks, ~Julie~

Whats the best bedding to use while trying to treat splay leg on a chick? Is rubber shelf liner on top of pine bedding good to use? The poor baby can't get any traction on just pine shavings. Thanks, ~Julie~

I know some use the rubber shelf liner you could also use old towels. either one would be find. Just try to make the liner lay as flat as possible on the shavings to keep the chick from having to navigate hills. Hope it works

What do people use normally for the bedding in this case? If I use a towel or the shelf liner, should I still put the pine shaving down first? When a chick has splay leg do they keep their head down most of the time? I put marbles in the water so it wouldn't drown if it got stuck or didn't take its head out. The chick does manage to get to the food b/c I see it in the dish but not positive about the water, although I still need to add more water everyday. The chick does use her wing/wings to help move around and to balance herself but scoots backwards as I can see. }}} Will she be able to move around to get food and water if legs are taped/banded together? Also, I have some tape/wrap that's kinda stretchy but not sticky it only sticks to itself, kinda like velcro (spelling) if I cut a strip and wrap the same way as a bandaid will this work? (theres no pad for in between the legs though) I have also noticed when i give the chick a drink that sometimes its beak is kinda open still and makes a breathing noise. Is this normal? I'm really not sure about what to do or expect and I've been reading and watched videos. Thanks for any input/advice, ~Julie~

What do people use normally for the bedding in this case? If I use a towel or the shelf liner, should I still put the pine shaving down first? When a chick has splay leg do they keep their head down most of the time? I put marbles in the water so it wouldn't drown if it got stuck or didn't take its head out. The chick does manage to get to the food b/c I see it in the dish but not positive about the water, although I still need to add more water everyday. The chick does use her wing/wings to help move around and to balance herself but scoots backwards as I can see. }}} Will she be able to move around to get food and water if legs are taped/banded together? Also, I have some tape/wrap that's kinda stretchy but not sticky it only sticks to itself, kinda like velcro (spelling) if I cut a strip and wrap the same way as a bandaid will this work? (theres no pad for in between the legs though) I have also noticed when i give the chick a drink that sometimes its beak is kinda open still and makes a breathing noise. Is this normal? I'm really not sure about what to do or expect and I've been reading and watched videos. Thanks for any input/advice, ~Julie~

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I have not had to deal with splay leg so can't give you first hand info, but i can give you a great link that will help you decide what is best to do for your chick, https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/
Be careful when trying to get your chick to drink you don't want to get liquid down into her lungs, will she not drink on her own?

Last edited:
Thank you Miss Lydia. I'm sure she drinks on her own but I guess I just worry b/c her head is down low all the time since she can't stand. I always see her inside the food dish, just never at the water dish.(Although more water is always needing to be added)and I give her fresh water everyday anyways. ~Julie~

Thank you Miss Lydia. I'm sure she drinks on her own but I guess I just worry b/c her head is down low all the time since she can't stand. I always see her inside the food dish, just never at the water dish.(Although more water is always needing to be added)and I give her fresh water everyday anyways. ~Julie~

Well hopefully this link will help you with more ideas on how to help her, Keep up the good work and let us know how she does...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom