1. sanctuaryworker

sanctuaryworker Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    o.k. I have a slight problem. We use straw to bed down our chickens which I have always disliked because its hard to keep clean, and it just holds smell.

Now I have a little problem, today while I was cleaning out their area I noticed that some of the females were huddled in a corner, when I moved them I didnt see anything, but then as I moved the straw around I realized that they were hiding their eggs under there! very smart no their part since we do not want chicks and pull their eggs several times a day.

So now I need help. What type of bedding are other people using for their chickens and why? I would definitely love to change bedding to something that is safe for the chickens, easy to clean and doesnt smell.

Thanks for any responses.

2. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

I like to use pine shavings sprinkled with DE... I use to use straw as well and the hens always pulled so much of it out to fix their nest that usually they left hardly any in and eggs were cracking as they were laying them. I like the shavings much better!

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I use the horse bedding that they sell at tractor supply. Its easy to keep clean & they sell the blocks that are split open at discounted prices. I tried hay but my hens didn't care for that to much.

4. kajunchicken

kajunchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Pine shavings ..... definitly.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by