Best blue egg layer

Ok so I got the wife involved with all layers mentioned and showed her pictures of each and their eggs until I got to the americaunas and that settled it, couldn't live without the beards. Then she saw the fuzzy silkies and now I guess I'm the silkie business also. :yesss:
20210328_101720.jpg

Well I have always had what is now called EEs.. or nonSOP Ameraucanas for the blue genes, quality has varied wildly on eggs... my first birds laid a super light disappointing green, many years latter when I started keeping again the two hens in my profile picture landed beautiful blue eggs. Unfortunately these two hens were stolen! So we are experimenting with new breeds... we decided this time to get Frostwhite Legbar, Lakeshore, Bantam EEs, Olive Eggers of Welsummer Cream Legbar mix... all the chicks are scheduled for July and August delivery so it will be interesting to see what these breeds/ hybrids will lay. It will be a bit before they are old enough to lay.

If I happen to find a few LF EE chicks at the feed store I will probably snag them too.

I think our first “Ameraucanas” (hatchery nonSOP) were from Meyers, our second two in the photo were from Ideal. Eggs in general of these birds from either hatchery were smaller than my Red or Black sex links we had at the same time. They were all consistent layers...

Ok so I got the wife involved with all layers mentioned and showed her pictures of each and their eggs until I got to the americaunas and that settled it, couldn't live without the beards. Then she saw the fuzzy silkies and now I guess I'm the silkie business also. :yesss:View attachment 2588910
Looks like you are in Alabama... If your wife wants Silkies, take her to Alabama Silkies!

Is there any reason why Murray hatchery birds are 4 dollars and meyer and cackle are 20 something each. Murray is sold out of course but if they're 15 dollars cheaper ill wait till next year to add them.
They update with extra available birds on Saturdays. I got some last year that are laying lovely clear blue eggs now. But they also just added a note to the breed listing that one in 300 will lay pink, and I've heard some lay green.

I settled on Arkansas Blues because I was looking for a true blue egg producer that was hardy, feed efficient, and excellent layers. They have satisfied me on all these counts

I tried several of the other blue egg laying breeds, including the Legbars, and the only chickens I ever owned that laid anything close in color to these guys were some purebred silver Ameraucanas from a dedicated breeder, but they were lunatics, wild as pheasants. I also had some bantam lavender Ameraucanas, which were super sweet and decent layers, but they laid little bantam eggs and I was looking for something more commercial.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arkansas-blue-egg-layers.874920/

I settled on Arkansas Blues because I was looking for a true blue egg producer that was hardy, feed efficient, and excellent layers. They have satisfied me on all these counts

I tried several of the other blue egg laying breeds, including the Legbars, and the only chickens I ever owned that laid anything close in color to these guys were some purebred silver Ameraucanas from a dedicated breeder, but they were lunatics, wild as pheasants. I also had some bantam lavender Ameraucanas, which were super sweet and decent layers, but they laid little bantam eggs and I was looking for something more commercial.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arkansas-blue-egg-layers.874920/
I'd love some Arkansas Blues....especially being in Arkansas. But if I order any more chickens, I think my DH will go bonkers. I already have over 50 chickens and 4 broody hens sitting on God knows how many eggs.

So I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you. ha ha....

Back
Top Bottom