best brand of chicken feed?

There's no reason to think that something mass produced is low quality - and in my experience, large companies tend to have better quality control departments than smaller ones.

What criteria are you using to say that Purina is low quality feed?

Well their dog food is complete garbage (wheat, corn, brewer's rice; all kinds of stuff dogs can't digest but is cheap filler) so I wouldn't trust their chicken feed to be any better quality.

Actually, the company that makes the Purina dog food is not the same company that makes Purina livestock feed. Ever notice the Purina checkerboard isn't on the dog food?? Different company. Yes the dog food is crap, but in my opinion their horse feeds are pretty good, not sure about the chook food though, haven't used it.

Actually, the company that makes the Purina dog food is not the same company that makes Purina livestock feed. Ever notice the Purina checkerboard isn't on the dog food?? Different company. Yes the dog food is crap, but in my opinion their horse feeds are pretty good, not sure about the chook food though, haven't used it.

It was sold off yes, but at its base, it's still the same company. I honestly don't trust anything that comes from any Purina or subsidiary or former subsidiary.

No, it's not at it's base the same company.

Purina Mills is owned by Land O'Lakes. Purina is owned by Nestle. They're completely separate companies with no real link. They're as much the same company as Verizon and Sprint are (in that they share some history).

What dog food and poultry feed do you use?

I've used quite a few brands of dog food over the years (because you have to *really* keep an eye on who owns them and what they're putting into them; e.g. iams used to be a quality food, then it was bought out and now it's low quality junk but it rode the coat tails of it's rep for years and years). Currently they're on Taste of the Wild, but I read the label every time I pick up a new bag. They were raised on Eagle Pack Holistic, which is now Holistic Select, but the store I got it at closed and I couldn't' find it locally.

Mostly, anything that gets 4-5 stars on Dog Food Advisor is ok with me.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I'm going with Scratch and Peck for the chickens, though Modesto Milling is also another option if I decide I'd rather have a pelletized feed.

The problem I have with Taste of the Wild is that they use a lot of potato products in there dog food, at least what is around here.

I have been using mostly Bil-Jac Frozen and the regular Bil-Jac dog food, but will used a Exotic Canine Diet with a Carnivore Supplement every now and then also.
As for Scratch n Peck, it would be a whole lot better feed if they up the protein and under stood that chicken were omnivores and not herbivores. I'll stick to my Game Bird feed that has animal proteins in it, Mazuri/Land -O- Lakes puts out good high end feed.

In a bucket...Organics North drills holes in the inside bucket like a strainer me I have old horse buckets with stress or sun cracks so I dump the grain in there and rinse it every day sometimes every other it takes 4 or 5 days to get them to sprout unless it's 110 like last week..just enough for the sprout to show my birds love them. If you go to her BYC page Organics North has a recipe for using sprouting grains
I am new to all this. What is this sprout you are talking about? Also my feed has 20% protein. Is that enough? They are not laying eggs yet.

20% should be fine you can buy "recleaned" oats or wheat at feedstores Lemos Feed can get oats Templeton has wheat or I don't know where you live so a real feed place can get recleaned grains even milo sprouts well where I live is dry so sprouted grains take the place of grass...Tractor Supply has recleaned grains also

So in have been feeding dumor chicken feed layer crumble although birds are healthy on it i got my first two eggs and I read a review once that with dumor there eggs aren't as rich/dark yellow.... Well same happens to me cracked open my first egg and looks store bought... I have found a feed mill in our area I don't know the brand but they have a layer mash that's 22 percent protein and 4 calcium... Was thinking about switching to that, or all flock purina I always used to feed when I lived out west but seemed they had more natural forms of calcium in the ground but I could just keep oyster shell available as I already am, or switch to just purina layer, I also have turkeys I am feeding too so that's one reason I would like higher protein? Any suggestions on what you guys use and what seems best?

Back
Top Bottom