Best breed around kids

Davaroo, I think what you're seeing is the emergence of people like myself who have no history or experience around livestock, who live in urban or suburban neighborhoods, who decide, for a variety of reasons, to acquire formerly farm-only animals.

For some, it's a desire to secede from the chemical and economic cycle of large-scale food production. Or to secede from society all together, which some days seems like a reasonable idea. For me, it's the realization that I won't always live on a multi-acre property, an affinity for animals gone into overdrive now that the kids are in college, and an over-romanticized notion of what it's like to keep chickens - that's what you BYCr's get for being so enthusiastic about what you do!
wink.png

But your points are well-taken. Even the gentlest creature can be unpredictable - dog, cat or chicken - and I'd rather the grandchildren observe the chickens from afar than have an experience that makes them fearful for the rest of their lives.

But I'm still hoping I get at least one "lap" chicken:oops:

Quote:
I know that chickens generally react to children negatively. Maybe its their sharp movements, or their incessant shrieking, or the fact that they are in the chickens face at ground level.
I dunno, but from my observations, chickens dont like kids.

I see little need to force the one on the other.

===========================================

Jody just what is a Lavender Hen? (PS Good to see you
wink.png
)

Humm.... has not been our experiance at all, oh I see your saying I have perfect children LOL
wink.png

Quote:
Davaroo, growing up on an upstate NY dairy farm I had the same experience as you. Preschoolers were never left unsupervised around farm animals. Just wasn't considered safe for the animal or the child. Kids can get stepped on, laid on, kicked, or otherwise crushed by larger animals. There was always the cautionary tale of a 4 yr old neighbor boy that was kicked in the head by a horse resulting in a plate in his head and permanent brain damage.

Smaller livestock like chickens/ roosters can flog a child, or use their spurs/ beaks to go after their faces. The only way I will let a small child go near any animal is if I'm right there either holding the child or right next to them. This is especially so if the animals are not used to having children around. No reason to create lifelong phobias in young children by having an animal scare them.

Stuffed toys are appropriate to let children play with unsupervised, not live animals.

Davaroo, I think what you're seeing is the emergence of people like myself who have no history or experience around livestock, who live in urban or suburban neighborhoods, who decide, for a variety of reasons, to acquire formerly farm-only animals.

For some, it's a desire to secede from the chemical and economic cycle of large-scale food production. Or to secede from society all together, which some days seems like a reasonable idea. For me, it's the realization that I won't always live on a multi-acre property, an affinity for animals gone into overdrive now that the kids are in college, and an over-romanticized notion of what it's like to keep chickens - that's what you BYCr's get for being so enthusiastic about what you do!

But your points are well-taken. Even the gentlest creature can be unpredictable - dog, cat or chicken - and I'd rather the grandchildren observe the chickens from afar than have an experience that makes them fearful for the rest of their lives.

But I'm still hoping I get at least one "lap" chicken:oops:

This is probably the best comment we're going to hear on this matter.

I personally notice a downright Polly Anna-like tone here at BYC concerning chickens, and often animals at large. From many of the posts I read it is obvious that people get chickens (and other livestock animals) with little in the way of realistic expectations. They think all critters are pets and so members of the family. If follows that these same people will think that chickens are 'tame' and that everybody should just get along. This Bambi-fication of the Natural world is quite common.

I personally blame the Animal Planet and the hippie movement for it, myself. Hell, I came up smack in the latter; Peace, Love and pass the LSD. I've been there, done that.
The fact that few people have had to work the land or manage livestock for their own supper has much to do with it, too.

It encourages me that they attempt chickens, and I give credit to them where it is due. These newbies have the courage to take the leap. I had chickens at an early age becasue they were just there and so think nothing of coming back to them - they're chickens... no big deal.
But, lets face it - keeping chickens where none has been before is a challenge. They most certainly are not the same as a free goldfish.

In those cases, I think it is good that they DO get some chickens and that there is a place like this for them to turn. It often comes as a needed wake up call, to see chickens kill a mouse or have the dog kill the chickens, or even have their own kid "roughed up" by a chicken.

Invariably this situation comes down to which of these you believe:

1. Chickens are livestock - not pets.
=========================================
2. Chickens can be made into pets - livestock or not.

Which side of this line you stand on, normally determines whether you think kids and chickens should be friends.

Last edited:
Davaroo your quote "They most certainly are not the same as a free kitty."
Is very true, cats are nasty animals and I have had more problems with them hurting our children then any other animal we have ever had.

Quote:
Now that you mention it, aint that the truth?!
(Maybe I better try a different critter)

lol.png
Gosh that could be a whole other post!
wink.png

Last edited:
Bantam cochins!! The little fluffballs are cute and cuddly and not agile enough to run away
lol.png
great for the kids.... not so great for the cochins
hmm.png

Bantam cochins are really gentle and can very easy to get along with Salmon Faverolle bantams are really extra sweet and laid back The roos are even nice tempered

Mike
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom