Best breed considering 3 factors; eggs, meat, and cold hardiness

Pics

dudefromtampa

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2012
I have been raising chickens for a few years now and have had several breeds over the years. This coming year, I'd like to raise one that is dual-purpose (good tasting meat as well as laying a decent number of eggs per year), as well has being very cold hardy. That is the major criteria I'm looking for in the chickens but I'd prefer a breed with a decent temperament as well as being cost productive meat-wise as well.

I originally zeroed in on Rhode Island Whites and White Chanteclers but the cost of the Chanteclers became an issue. Then I looked at the Comets but found out you can't rely on their eggs for the continuance of their flock.

Then I settled (momentarily) on Rhode Island Reds.

Just curious if this question has been asked in these forums before and if so, what the consensus was/is.

Thanks for any replies.

Joe

Any dual purpose breed should fit your needs. Buff Orpingtons are a good one too, as well as Australorp and rocks. I have found most breeds winter hardy here in Wisconsin, though large comb roosters will get frostbite on combs and wattles but all recover fine.

Where are you located? From my experiences chantecler aren't the best layers anyways.

Any dual purpose breed should fit your needs. Buff Orpingtons are a good one too, as well as Australorp and rocks. I have found most breeds winter hardy here in Wisconsin, though large comb roosters will get frostbite on combs and wattles but all recover fine.

Where are you located? From my experiences chantecler aren't the best layers anyways.

Thank you. We raised some black orps a couple years back. They are a pleasant enough breed and lay plenty of eggs. Never had a Buff Orp tho.

We're in SE Pa.

I thought White Chantelclers were good egg layers.

Thank you for your reply

Definitely white chantaclers .wonderful in the snow and cold. they will play in the snow at 30 below .great birds good for meat, good for eggs .
Best ,
Karen

Thank you for your reply. I was looking at White Chanteclers earlier. Rhode Island Whites as well. But the eggs were kinda pricey. My end up going that route however.

It looks like cold weather may be more prevalent in the years to come.

I'll put in another vote for Chanteclers. My current pullets are egg laying machines.

Have you looked into the Partridge variety? Depending on the market they could be more prevalent. Though for PA you can probably get away with single comb birds such as the Australorp. You probably don't have weeks of temperatures lower than 0F. That gets real tough on any bird that isn't cold hardy or in anything less than perfect condition; I sometimes lose some of the lighter single comb breeds in those temperatures.

Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Dominiques, certain lines of wyandottes, rosecomb leghorns, RC Dorkings, and other breeds with smaller combs. Most single comb breeds would be plenty cold hardy, but could suffer some frostbitten combs. Most of the time is not a big deal, but could be sever.

If eggs are priority over meat, go for the Dominique or RC leghorn. The Dominique is a better layer than the larger breeds like the wyandotte or buckeye.

I'll put in another vote for Chanteclers. My current pullets are egg laying machines.

Have you looked into the Partridge variety? Depending on the market they could be more prevalent. Though for PA you can probably get away with single comb birds such as the Australorp. You probably don't have weeks of temperatures lower than 0F. That gets real tough on any bird that isn't cold hardy or in anything less than perfect condition; I sometimes lose some of the lighter single comb breeds in those temperatures.

I have to admit I know very little about the Chanteclers but from what I have read, the White Chanteclers seem to be the better laying, more cold resistant breed of Chanteclers in general. I've seem remarks on chicken related websites that said the Partridge variety doesn't lay that many eggs. You've seemed to have better luck with them however.

It doesn't get down in the 0 degree (F) temps here often but every once in awhile it does.

Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Dominiques, certain lines of wyandottes, rosecomb leghorns, RC Dorkings, and other breeds with smaller combs. Most single comb breeds would be plenty cold hardy, but could suffer some frostbitten combs. Most of the time is not a big deal, but could be sever.

If eggs are priority over meat, go for the Dominique or RC leghorn. The Dominique is a better layer than the larger breeds like the wyandotte or buckeye.

My wife suggested I consider the Dominiques also. Although I have an old shed that I keep my birds in now (also have a bunch of guineas), this coming Spring I want to separate my chickens from the guinea and house them in nice, mobile, (and insulated) chicken tractors. Not sure if leghorns would be good for this.

Thank you for your reply / advice.

I have to admit I know very little about the Chanteclers but from what I have read, the White Chanteclers seem to be the better laying, more cold resistant breed of Chanteclers in general. I've seem remarks on chicken related websites that said the Partridge variety doesn't lay that many eggs. You've seemed to have better luck with them however.

It doesn't get down in the 0 degree (F) temps here often but every once in awhile it does.
Pish posh. I currently have two partridge hens and I get at least one egg from them every day. You'll probably see a lot of "lineage bias" on some sites, where the Partridge variety is denounced as "not a real Chantecler" because they don't come from the first whites bred by brother Wilfred. It's unfortunate because the Partridge birds are quite lovely to be around and look at.

I would say I have had good luck with them. I've rather fallen in love and can't imagine not having them. :love

You can keep pretty much every breed, then, without much regard to their hardiness. I own Leghorn hens too, and they don't start losing tips until it's very cold, as in below 0F highs.

Dominiques are a good breed too. I have one dom cockerel right now and I'm pretty impressed with how well he takes the cold.

Back
Top Bottom