Hybrids and cross-breeds - which to go for?

The one thing we've learned over & over again keeping chickens is that you have to follow your passion, to make keeping them remain fun.
More time with birds you don't feel much for doesn't make them more dear, it just sucks some of the joy out of the hobby and you wonder where it went.

You clearly have a favorite type. I vote you get rid of everybody that's not your favorite. Then make MORE of your favorites :love :jumpy
I think you've nailed it. I really didn't like the Leghorn rooster and I'm not liking his offspring much either. After NatJ's helpful comments, I have decided to get rid of all the Leghorn crosses and just concentrate on the pure Blue Australorps and the Rhode Island Blue crosses I can get from my BA rooster and RIR hens. The Australorps are so sweet and docile (and HUGE), so hoping their nature will be passed on. So far, so good, as the young rooster RIBs seem much nicer than the Leghorn crosses.

The one thing we've learned over & over again keeping chickens is that you have to follow your passion, to make keeping them remain fun.
More time with birds you don't feel much for doesn't make them more dear, it just sucks some of the joy out of the hobby and you wonder where it went.

You clearly have a favorite type. I vote you get rid of everybody that's not your favorite. Then make MORE of your favorites :love :jumpy

Exactly this!

Also, it is perfectly acceptable, nay indeed somewhat necessary, for it to take many years and hundreds of successive chickens to try out lots of different breeds to find out what your favourites are, and then build bigger coops and runs because it's so hard to choose and you love so many breeds! 😉

aka chicken math.

Welcome to the madhouse, OP!!

Back
Top Bottom