Best breed for a pet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gamelife, Dec 25, 2011.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a breed of chicken that would be best for my wife as a pet.
    I raise gamefowl and she loves them but they just have to much energy for her.
    She wants one she can hold and pet that's pretty calm. I got her so close to our games
    that she started naming them but she needs her own bird.
    Any suggestions?

2. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    Are you wanting LF or Bantams??? To me bantam Cochins are the way to go for quiet little pets. I had one growing up and i hauled her around everywhere! I also had a LF Barred rock that I did the same thing to. Both where the greatest pets IMO.

This is the one I have now. She isn't tame but I haven't played with her either. It's like anything else, the more time you put into them the tamer they are

[​IMG]

April

3. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Thanks lilcritters,
    LF or bantams, it doesn't matter. As long as she has a chicken to call hers.
    I also have a young son who loves chickens now, so a gentle one would be preferred.
    I have a great love for my gamefowl. I have been around them all my life but they are my
    preference. I want my wife and kids to love poultry as I do but they need a more calm,
    follow you around breed. How are silkies?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  4. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Silkies should also be considered. Very easy to handle and interesting to look at. If you only have one I don't think it will be as likely to go broody on you. Silkies are walking incubators.

5. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:Walking incubators hmmmm..... That gives me an idea! Maybe I could get a few and use them to hatch some eggs.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Cochins and silkies both are known for being extreme broodies - walking incubators. Silkies have the silkied feathers so they feel more like a cat as opposed to a chicken. Both breeds are known for being extremely docile and they come in a number of colors to have a nice variety to choose from.

My daughter's main pets are silkies, but her favorite of all the birds we have is a little old english game rooster some old man gave her at a show. That little rooster she brings in the house and drags everywhere. Then her favorite breed besides the silkie is the polish. Polish in my experience are known for being outgoingly friendly and easy going as well.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Thanks guys,
    I will look into those breeds.
    Anyone else have any good suggestions?

8. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:That sounds just like what my son would do. Great info,
    Thanks

9. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    I LOVE my Petie, mutt OEGB Is is the SWEETEST and I didn't even raise him. An old man gave him to me and once he found out I was the food source and I would give him treats, he is all over me!

[​IMG]

Him sitting on my leg begging...

April

10. my sweetest hen is a black astralorp americanas are nice too i would go with black astralorp raise 2 as chicks and hold them alot like 3 times a day do that with any breed that you get who you want to hold. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by