Best breed for pet ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mvzm, Feb 2, 2017.

1. mvzm

mvzm Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    I have had ducks and chickens all of my life but recently I have not had any. I am wanted to get back yard ducks that will also be pets and come in the house at time but have a coop outside also I am wanting breed recommendations I would prefer to not have pekins I want something different. I really like runners and how they look but I have herd that they can be skittish, and I understand that can do with a lot how you raise them.

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    [​IMG], @mvzm !

Runners can be a bit skittish, I've heard. As for ducks that are friendly, this depends a lot on how you raise them - as you've said. Handle them often, give them treats, make them associate You with A Good Thing, and all should be fine. 'Tamed' ducks won't run away - unless you try to pick them up, then they can be skittish. But you can train them out of this behavior...With food!
    Some duck breeds more skittish than others, and have different traits. Here's a link that you may find helpful: http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=14468404.
    It doesn't have all the breeds, but a lot are featured. I wouldn't buy a crested duck, as their pouf is a genetic deformity, can be dangerous to the duck. If you decide to buy a Rouen, make sure you buy the Production variety. I personally wouldn't get the Exhibiton Rouens unless you want to eat your ducks (But neither of us do, so). Metzers sells Production Rouens only.
    Sorry if I went a little off-topic, lol [​IMG].... Hope I helped!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi!

I want to chime in - my Runners are anything but skittish, in spite of the breed's reputation. I think some of it may be genetic, but much may be that I raised them with lots of TLC and spent quite a bit of time with them.

At three weeks, they went through the stage where overnight I became, in their eyes, a potential axe-murderer. That was a rough several weeks of learning how to keep them more calm. BYC Duck people really helped me!

And once they got through that phase, they became and still are very friendly, calm, energetic, personable critters. A few will let me pet them sometimes, no one likes being picked up, all of them will literally walk on me if I have treats.

We have also adopted some rescues. Our Khaki-Rouen mix is very very sweet and friendly. Our Black East Indies is friendly but a wee bit more shy. One of our Buffs is very friendly and even lets me pick her up when necessary without much fuss at all. Three of our Buffs apparently were not raised around people, and are relaxed until we get closer than three feet away, then they seem a little nervous. Our white Mallard is very friendly, will get right up next to me, but if I reach to pet her, she skirts away and wags her tail.

1 person likes this.
  4. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Sorry @mvzm and @Amiga ! I had been going off of what I had read about Runners, but clearly they are not always so skittish...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It really is a personal preference which Ducks you choose......They are all fantastic.....The more time you spend with them, the tamer they become.....Ducks are very social...Every bird is an individual with their own personality....Some are calm or some are a bit skittish.....When they reach a certain age at around or between 4 and 8 weeks they get the Ginger Man syndrome .....They run from you, do not listen and get into things they should not be noodling....They out grow it though....Ducks are fantastic pets...They Quack and wag their tail when they are happy...feathered Puppies all their lives....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. mvzm

mvzm Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Thank you everyone so much I think we have worked it down to most likely runner I really like the blue and blacks probably one of each. @amiga I have a question about your runners do or are they getting snow I have see a lot about people that have then and every time the mult they get more snow is that genetics or just a duck thing?

7. mvzm

mvzm Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017

8. mvzm

mvzm Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017

Have your runners get snow I have seen and herd people that have them that get snow is that a genetic thing or just a duck thing? All I have ever had was pekins so I wouldn't of noticed that

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it is a duck thing. I have seen Cayugas and BEIs get snow, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Yup, My Cayuga has some snow. My Blue and Black Swedish aren't showing any signs yet, but Blue/Black/Chocolate runners all have it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by