Best breed of ducks for setting

Rosebud 18

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
middle Tn
I'm looking for the best breed of ducks for setting. I just want one that will set. I have a pair of pekins (Jake and Emma), now Emma lays every day and I tried to let her set in Sept. but she wouldn't stay on the eggs. They were her first eggs and she was only 7 months old. These are my first ducks and I love them dearly and want more. Was that to young to expect her set. I have my heart set on some runners and calls in the spring. I appreciate any info I can get on them.

Another reliable brooder besides Muscovy are Mallards. Unlike Muscovy I don't think Mallards will hatch more than one clutch a year, but if you are considering hatching Calls, I wonder if the Mallard's size might be more appropriate.
Or a Silkie chicken would work well too, if you can incorporate them into your setup.

Wifezilla, what kind of "broody rate" are you getting with your WH hens? I had 50% going broody, but then my experience has been limited to only four WH hens that have gotten to brooding age so far.
smile.png

I've had two that were absolutely not ever interested in going broody, although one seemed to think ducklings were kinda cute.

Last edited:
Quote:
They will go broody the first spring they start laying. My Bridgett is a month older and has never gone broody, although she like to sit for a little while next to other broody hens, and showed real maternal interest in newly hatched ducklings. Meanwhile I've had two others go broody their first spring, made a nest, sat continously, stopped laying, but they weren't that good of mothers compared to my Runner. They barely showed any interest in their ducklings. Maybe I could tag team, have Honey hatch and have Bridget raise them, LOL.

I want to capture the muscovy hen who lives at our community lake and use her to hatch my eggs next summer. Every summer, she raises two or three batches. Most die because the wild is rough. But she always starts with 15-20 live babies, and if I could protect them, she'd probably get them all the way to maturity.

But so far I haven't had the heart to domesticate her when she is so happy down there. Maybe this summer I'll change my mind.

Anyway--a good muscovy hen is a GREAT mama. They're nice big birds, too, so they can cover more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom