best breed of rabbit from posted list for kids?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I am trading some birds for a rabbit
possible breeds are
chocolate satins,
creme d'argents,
Californians,
new Zealand whites
Flemish
from personal experience which would be best with kids?
do I want a pair?
if I get a pair is it ok if they are from same litter?

I have only had a mini-rex, alone, so my rabbit knowledge is limited

thanks for any help
big_smile.png

Any breed can be good for kids. The main thing I'd want to know is how old are they and can they safely handle an animal of that size? If you're interested in breeding...yes get a pair.

If you're just interested in one rabbit for 4H then get one. If you're looking to show in ARBA shows....keep in mind that Best of Breed rabbits in the morning can become last place in the afternoon.

Yesterday's shows my friend took BOB in the A show, Last in the B show, and third in the specialty show for her breed.

not going to show, just a pet. The kids are supervised at all times with any pet. Not sure if I wanted to breed, but wasn't sure if a sibling pair would be an issue....
I guess I am looking for the calmest, less bitey type. Our mini never bit. I was thinking Flemish because I could just let it run around the house, or at least the basement/family room area....My brother had a rabbit that ran free in his house and it used the litter box without fail.
also, if I got a pair would they end up less interested in the people in the house since they would have another rabbit?
thanks for your response
big_smile.png

I think if you are looking for a inside pet a large rabbit like a Flemish or a New Zealand would be a great idea. We have both large and small and I trust the larger ones more around my nieces and nephews because they are less likely to try to pick them up. Our rabbits don't bite but will sometimes kick if picked up and that can hurt, it also startles a child who will often drop the rabbit. Whenever some one calls us looking for a pet rabbit I suggest a neutered male. Unaltered males will often spray in the house, and some does get attitude, my favorite rabbit ever was a Harlequin mix breed named Smokey, we had him neutered and he was a house rabbit.
If you don't plan to breed or show and just want one for a pet then I would get a buck and have him altered. Around here it is only $40 and so worth it.
If you plan to breed a litter or show then I would get the pair, brother/sister doesn't matter much in rabbits, they won't bond any less to you because of other rabbits, and you will need to keep them separate most of the time anyway or you will be overrun in baby rabbits.

Good luck, Rabbits can make wonderful pets!

so a neutered male would be best? I know we chose male rats when we had them because they were more laid back and less bitey. what age can they be neutered?
the flemish may be flemish x american chinchilla. saw some of his ads. i will know for sure tomorrow. thanks!

I say neutered male because intact males, not all but a majority of them have the urge to "mark" their territory. They like to jump and twist while they pee. We have gotten caught a couple times in the stream. Neutering them helps this. Of course are can see and smell both the does and the other bucks. If you just want a pet I would neuter. I think our little guy got done between 4-6 months. I live in rural Iowa but our local vet was able to do it.

Mix breeds are just fine, Just like dogs, they make great pets!

I have a flemish giant female...I love her to death and she is a sweetheart but the only problem is that she is soooo heavy that the kids can't hold her.

On the other hand...I have 3 lionheads that are tiny...and they have waaay too much enegy for the kids to hold them!!

I would go for a medium sized bunny....and yes, I believe its better to get 2 versus 1, just make sure you get one or both fixed if you don't want bunnies around! LOL

yeah, like cats I suppose. ours are neutered. I will most definitely talk to dh and tell him what I have learned
big_smile.png

I am partial to french angoras, but they are VERY furry. The ONE thing you need to make sure of before buying any rabbit is that they have been handled from birth. If not, they can bite and be agressive. Handling ALOT since birth is key to having a friendly rabbit.

Quote:
honestly, I prefer heavy, kids can sit on the floor and lay with them to pet them, pretty much what they do with the cats...I don't really let them pick up the animals, except my 2 oldest. They have to demonstrate responsible behavior and get my permission. They know not to handle them. they also know they can't handle the chicks without mom around and the rules that go with, no exception or they don't get a turn. They are good
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom