Best breed to attack hawks

i googled it and it said shooting hawks in virginia is banned or something stupid like that, but my run covers like a whole 3/4 my backyard so its huge, i dont know what would work for a covered run. This is a very bad screenshpt from a video but from where the red barn starts, and half way down the hill is where the coop ends, also where the pirate ship is so a covered run is practically impossible, or VERY expensiveView attachment 3748257
Manicured lawns and pastures are hawk magnets.You have no coverage overhead and no hiding places. They need shrubs and bushes so hawk can't swoop down and grab one.

Are there bushes or other obstacles for your chickens to hide under? My birds free range, but to the best of my knowledge I have not had a chicken taken by a hawk. If there is a hawk over head my roosters screech and all the birds run under the brush.
We have a few benches, a bush, under my coop here is a pretty spacey underside, and that whole entire pirate ship in my picture. My hay hay got attacked while trying to protect the flock but my chickens have a problem with flying over the coop and exploring my whole yard and thats how my last rooster passed. There are some hiding spaces in my yard where they fly though.

well i cant cover my run since it is very large and it would be very difficult and expensive, from a picture i put in the replies u can see, so is there anything else that can work?
string. bright color, like blue, pink, orange, and red. it's obviously not very strong, but should be a deterrent, as eagles and hawks aren't usually willing to risk getting tangled.

Back
Top Bottom