Best breed to use as a broody?

pawtraitart

Crowing
13 Years
May 30, 2007
Idaho
I really want to be able to hatch out my own chicks at some point without having to get an incubator. I've read that silkies are great broodies, but how many eggs can they set? Would standard cochins be a good choice? Any recommendations for a breed that can set more than a few eggs at a time? I want a really broody hen with a nice temperment.
smile.png

I had a buff orpington once that went broody every time her butt hit the nest. I understand they have a tendancy to be broody. They are also large so they can brood a lot of eggs.

Standard Cochins make great moms. I have one that's hatched her second batch and is raising the chicks herself and another who is sitting on eggs now that should hatch on the 16th. None of these eggs have been Cochin eggs. The first batch Big Momma hatched were Polish Bantams. It seems like I always have a Cochin going broody. They can sit on about 12 eggs easily. They sit pretty tight too. Some I have to lift off the nest and make them go eat and drink.

Georgia

I have four buffs which I'm hoping will hatch eggs next spring. I want a backup plan in case they aren't inclined to do the job. Plus...it's another excuse to get another variety for my flock to satisfy my chicken addiction.
wink.png

silkies, they will sit on anything you put in the nest. Put a pastic easter egg in the nest to get her started, after that as long as there is something in the nest she will sit on it. I have a couple of silkie hens that I have to pull off the nest they brood that long. But once they get feed good they go right back at it. They do come off the nest to eat, get a drink and relieve themselves, all in less than 10 minutes.

I'd just love to have a silkie hen or two....or three, but I don't want to order straight run. I wouldn't be able to cull any silkie roos I'd end up with.

My Australorp thinks she wants to be broody, has sat on eggs twice (I think she is trying again) but left the eggs at about 15 days both times.
roll.png
Maybe she will get better with age...

You could always find someone that would be wiling to part with some cheap pet quality Silkie hens. I just let my pet qualities go for $5 a piece...that's a bargain!! Or buy chicks and sell or give away the roos.

I haven't been able to locate anybody close by who has silkie pullets for sale. I don't even want to imagine the look on my husbands face if I brought home another chicken this year! He thinks I'm nuts. I can't get anymore until after we've culled or re-homed the pen full of roos. Hehe.

Do the standards get as broody as the bantams?

Back
Top Bottom