Best breeds for broody hens?

I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies. Neither would do well with my climate. I’ve heard Orpingtons are good but at the same time the only person I know who keeps them has 2 that are over 10 years old still lay and have never gone broody!

I had a Speckled Sussex sit on eggs last summer and she was a great mama. Only 3 out of 10 eggs hatched and two were cockerels so it was fun but a waste of time. It took a lot out of the hen too and she still is recovering. My Buff Orpingtons are willing and one went broody in January even but I don't want them to sit. Don't know if they do well in heat though, I'm in Vermont

Attachments

• 3DD1BEA8-F55A-4C65-B747-627A99D5AAD1.jpeg
    3DD1BEA8-F55A-4C65-B747-627A99D5AAD1.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4AA8CC9F-FD8F-4135-B453-393068454BA1.jpeg
    4AA8CC9F-FD8F-4135-B453-393068454BA1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies. Neither would do well with my climate. I’ve heard Orpingtons are good but at the same time the only person I know who keeps them has 2 that are over 10 years old still lay and have never gone broody!
I have a Barred Rock who goes broody every season. She has hatched out Orpingtons and Copper Marans from the other girls who are not "maternal." She is 6 years old -still laying and brooding -quite a girl!

My Marans seem to be fairly broody. I think mine are bread to be broody, my supplier is always working on a new Marans project. I also have a splash Windotte who is currently broody.
Let me know if you want my Marans guy's information. He is really great and has beautiful birds.
The Marans also stay with their babies for months teaching important chicken lessons.
Hi, I am interested it getting your Maran Guy information. I am looking for a couple broody hens and love the Maran breed. Thanks Pam

Hi, I am interested it getting your Maran Guy information. I am looking for a couple broody hens and love the Maran breed. Thanks Pam
His name is Dan Barger, and you can find him on Facebook. His company is called Cypress Duck Farm. I have used him for years and have always been very happy with the results. I have purchased fertile eggs and pullets from him. Never have bought chicks (so you have full disclosure). Also I am an hour ride from him so I pick up, have never had anything shipped. Even thou I pick up, he always gives me 2 extra eggs. Marans at the farm are beautiful. He also has ducks. if you go there, you can see them all running around, it's very peaceful. Let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck

This little cutie pie called Panda is without a doubt my favorite chicken of all time.
She went broody in October last year and hatched 10 out of 13 eggs.
Early in Feb, she went broody again and as i didn't have any fertile eggs, i had to get her out of it.
People tell her breed is Cochin
ch6.jpg

This is her now...2 of her daughters who are 4 months old sit with her when she is laying an egg lolz
sdasdad.jpg

This little cutie pie called Panda is without a doubt my favorite chicken of all time.
She went broody in October last year and hatched 10 out of 13 eggs.
Early in Feb, she went broody again and as i didn't have any fertile eggs, i had to get her out of it.
People tell her breed is CochinView attachment 2560396

This is her now...2 of her daughters who are 4 months old sit with her when she is laying an egg lolz
View attachment 2560404
That is to cute! :)

Back
Top Bottom