Best breeds for broody hens?

I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies. Neither would do well with my climate. I’ve heard Orpingtons are good but at the same time the only person I know who keeps them has 2 that are over 10 years old still lay and have never gone broody!
I have blue lace Wyandotte that sit, a buff and a little faverolle that is a fierce momma hen she has to help hatch he is not big enough to cover the nest but she picks some one to co parent with! Got to be careful though before you know it you don’t have eating eggs and every one is sitting! Blue slate turkeys are also pretty good sitters but they know when they hatch “you are not a turkey out of the nest you go” but the puffy check little faverolle to the rescue. And they said they don’t make great free range chicken. It did take months for them to get confident. I have 1 Cochin rooster for 22 girls about 6 would just hatch chicks all the time if you let them.

I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies. Neither would do well with my climate. I’ve heard Orpingtons are good but at the same time the only person I know who keeps them has 2 that are over 10 years old still lay and have never gone broody!
I have a buff Orpington and a lavender Orpington. Mu buff goes broody two to three times a year for going on 5 yrs. The lavender has never gone broody. As a matter of fact, last year she grew a set of spurs that would rival any roosters. She's also pretty mean:) Don't know if buffs are more prone to go broody than other Orpingtons, but maybe you'll get enough feedback to make an educated guess. I have several other breeds that also have never gone broody.

How about Wyandottes?
My Blue Wyandotte was very broody and she was really hard to break from her broodiness.

Although when she turned 4 last year, I don’t think she got broody once. It maybe because she’s never hatched an egg.

She’s 5 now and still lays eggs regularly. She may still get broody, not that I want her to.

How about Wyandottes?
My Blue Wyandotte was very broody and she was really hard to break from her broodiness.

Although when she turned 4 last year, I don’t think she got broody once. It maybe because she’s never hatched an egg.

She’s 5 now and still lays eggs regularly. She may still get broody, not that I want her to.
Yes I read that Wyandotte’s are very broody.

Whenever one of my hens gets broody i give her 4-5 fertile duck eggs to sit on. My Light Sussex hens are dedicated hatchers but are totally baffled by ducklings so I introduce them to one of my more "motherly" ducks as soon as they are imprinted on me.
My broody hens are really dependable troopers since duck eggs take an extra week to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom