Best Breeds For Free Ranging?

From my experience over the past 5 years is don't go with black chickens if you are having problems with airborne predators. They can see them better from the sky than other chickens. I would also stay away from white chickens unless you have snow on the ground all the time.
Personally I love the Brown Leghorn suggestion and I'm looking into getting that breed myself. I have never had a problem with my Easter Eggers or Buff Orpingtons. If you are looking for plenty of eggs, these breeds will provide it.
The thing with black chickens and hawks - they can see them better so they will go after them. Brown and tan chickens are harder to see from the sky and by the time they do pick them off - it's too late for the hawk - their already hitting the deck.
That's just my 2 cents - someone will probably disagree and say color of the bird has nothing to do them being prone to hawk attacks in a way of speaking.

I also free range and about the only breeds I've had success with are gamefowl, sumatras, and brown leghorns; however, even with these breeds, I've found that I need to get my chicks in the spring because late-summer and fall chicks aren't mature enough to withstand the cold temps and increased predator activity of winter.

By contrast I've had chicks hatch as late as September and manage to evade predators. A lot depends on the environment, climate, and predator load, as well as the breed of chicken and the abilities and experience of the broody.

But, the brown coloring will help.
You shouldn't assume that his local environment is brown. Egyptian Fayoumi evolved to be white because it blended nicely with the rocks along the Nile River
egyptian-fayoumis-chickens.jpg

The environment in the southwest may even be dominated by the color red. I don't know what it looks like where OP is and so I won't suggest a particular color

You shouldn't assume that his local environment is brown. Egyptian Fayoumi evolved to be white because it blended nicely with the rocks along the Nile River
View attachment 3738844
The environment in the southwest may even be dominated by the color red. I don't know what it looks like where OP is and so I won't suggest a particular color
Yeah, not assuming. OP says brown is dominant color there.

Australorps. Most hawks leave them alone because they think they're crows. They're also surprisingly fast 🤣

is this a conclusion you've reached based on personal experience? The only black birds I've had here have been by far the most at risk of getting hit by a predator

Back
Top Bottom