Best breeds to buy

I had 2 Salmon Faverolles. They didn't lay in the winter (as they are claimed to do), were not great layers of eggs that barely got into USDA Medium, broody several times a year. One was really good as an "Auntie" to assist another hen that was raising the next set of hatchery chicks though. She would stick with them for several months even though the surrogate Mom would blow them off at 6 - 8 weeks.

Leghorns are cheap to feed and good layers but can be aggressive with others in the flock.

Welsummers, I have 2 hens. They can not be sexed when young by feather pattern or the "V" (or lack thereof) on their heads as some claim. They are good layers of Large to XL, darker brown eggs and not skittish.

Barred Rocks, I have 2. They are very good layers of Large to XL and not skittish.

Love my Easter Eggers (the ones with beards, muffs, green legs; no experience with the "newer" crosses that don't have these features). They have been pretty good layers. I have 5 now in a flock of 25 hens. They are aged 2 (2), 4, 6 and 9 years old.

Black Australorps - I like them, I have 2 that are 6 years old, and 2 that are 5 months old. My all time very favorite hen was a BA from 2012.

My best layers are 2 Austra Whites. They are specific to Meyer Hatchery, a cross between Black Australorp and White Leghorn. They are more Leghorn size and shape but with the BA temperament and lay USDA Large to XL. I got them in 2019, one of them started laying in November that year and hasn't stopped (though she MIGHT be now, she needs a rest!) and I don't light the coop.

White Rocks are also good layers as are my Columbian Wyandottes (though these are USDA Medium layers).

I would not again get Anconas (very aggressive to other birds but good layers), Exchequer Leghorns (don't lay well and rarely lay eggs as large as UDSA Medium) or Salmon Faverolles (too broody, not very productive). Keep in mind that while I like to look at the birds (thus the wide range of breeds I have, I do want them laying. This may not be as important to some people.

I can't talk about the Gold and Silver Laced Wyandottes since mine aren't old enough to lay yet.
I have only had two leghorns. Both are not mean. I also have a leghorn mix who is not agressive either. I believe it depends on individuals.

But I have had 6 Welsummers. Currently I have 5. I was talking about their plumage color which is e+ or duckwing. Males feather in black on their chests. There have been odd birds which can be because of hatchery stock being poor quality.

My pheonixes, naked necks and Cornish bantams are my go to birds. But the only one of those you might find in a store is the NNs. Pheonixes (not mine though for what ever reason) that are duckwing (silver or gold) will show males by 5 or 6 weeks because of feather color. If not earlier by comb (I can usually pick out my boys by 3 weeks)

I see that you're in Virginia, where for much of the state heat is a bigger concern than cold -- unless you're up in the mountains where winter winds are FIERCE (I used to live in Boone, NC).

If you're on clay then you should probably avoid feathered feet because they'll collect mud, but if you're on sand the feathered feet are fine.

If you're anywhere warm enough that tobacco is grown you should be leery of any breed that's noted for particularly excellent cold tolerance -- though my SLW doesn't seem any worse affected by the heat than the others and it seems to me that, up to a point, my Brahmas' heavy feathers protect them from heat as well as cold.

I love my Blue Australorps -- Australorps of any color are a good, all-around, general purpose bird who lay well and *may* go broody. They're active but calm.

My California White is a champion layer of absolutely consistent, Large (65g), white eggs and tremendously amusing. She flies like a helicopter and is always the first to investigate anything new.

I don't have any cuddle birds, but almost all of them follow me around as I work in the coop -- to the point that I stepped on a Cochin's foot feathers the other day (haven't taken an adult Cochin through the summer yet).

Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens. :D

Thank you all for your replies!! I have experience with a few of the mentioned breeds, from previous flocks, I just wanted some feedback on breeds I haven't had before. The store I'll be going to is a Rural King, as there aren't any other stores selling chicks around here and I'm not ordering from a hatchery.

I find it interesting that some of you like Wyandottes, we had 4 and they were nasty little things lol! Beautiful feathers and good layers though.

Thank you all for your replies!! I have experience with a few of the mentioned breeds, from previous flocks, I just wanted some feedback on breeds I haven't had before. The store I'll be going to is a Rural King, as there aren't any other stores selling chicks around here and I'm not ordering from a hatchery.

I find it interesting that some of you like Wyandottes, we had 4 and they were nasty little things lol! Beautiful feathers and good layers though.
Yeah, Wyandotte's have a tendancy to be quite bullies in a flock. Not a huge problem to me, though.

Makes for a great broody hen.

Back
Top Bottom