Best breeds

There are so many!! Look up Henderson's Breed chart, and the photos on feathersite, to get ideas. Then try several types, and see what appeals to you. In general RIRs, sex-linked layers, and New Hamps, are more aggressive with other birds, and Salmon Favorelles are very gentle, sometimes too soft to do well in mixed breed flocks. Individuals vary a lot, so making generalizations is tricky. Mary

I am relatively new to chickens and rescued 7 of my 8 layers...I them purchased another layer and 2, 12 week old pullets . I have to "stealth chicken" so can not chance a roo. All of my chickens accepted each other very well... I have 2 americanus (bearded solid white...love the puffy cheeks and rumpless sweethearts) they lay beautiful blue eggs 6 days a week...3 easter eggers one lays pink eggs the other 2 blueish green 6 out of 7 days a week. 2 RIR's they lay brown eggs 5 days a week 1 Barred Rock she lays 5 days a week. My "littles" are a olive egger and FBCM's who will lay a dark chocolate egg with speckles ...they should lay late July...they are all spoiled "pet Chickens" and a few are already over 3 years old and stil laying 5 days a week. I love a colorful egg basket....I would suggest any of these breeds

Two great breeds that fit your criteria are Wyandottes and Dominiques. They are good mothers, hatch nice large clutches, lay big eggs, are very calm and docile, and lay for a long time. Hope this helps.

jungle birds tend to be flighty and nervous and hard to keep from roosting in trees...that is from a friend that started with them. She suggested you NOT start with them

I haven't had many chickens, but in my experience Americauna are very pretty, nice, and lay beautiful, colorful eggs. I also have two Black Sex Link, and they haven't missed one day of giving me a nice, brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom