1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Bucket Waterer Heater?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gray Ghost, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    I water my 28 hens with a couple of 3-gal. plastic buckets with nipple waterers in the bottom, hanging from the ceiling of the coop. This will be my first winter so I trying to decide the best way to keep the water flowing in my (unheated, NE Wisconsin) coop. I am thinking some kind of heater suspended in each bucket will work.

What kind of heater has worked best for you in similar situations? I stopped by Wal-Mart to look at acquarium heaters and there was one for about $18 but it will keep the water at 78 degrees farenheit which seems like overkill and might use more electricity than necessary. I also found a couple of 44-watt and 50-watt submersible birdbath heaters on Amazon.com which look like they might work.

I would prefer a heater which is thermostatically controlled in order to save power consumption.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I use Livestock water heaters and put them in a plastic barrel that I cut down to 14 inches or so. Lots of water and the heaters do a great job, especially if there is air circulation around it. I keep mine outside so it's less messy in the coop.

3. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    You should look at the watts used for the heater.

I use an aquarium heater because the watts used are only 25 while most bucket heaters and deicers are 250 watts and more.

4. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
  5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I would prefer a heater which is thermostatically controlled in order to save power consumption

Plug the heaters into a Thermocube:

http://www.thermocube.com/

6. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Quote:Plug the heaters into a Thermocube:

http://www.thermocube.com/

I already have a thermocube. However I don't think it's meant to be immersed in water. I'm looking for a device which will heat the water based on the temperature of the water (to keep it just above freezing) not on the temperature of the air.

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Aquarium heaters are trouble in the making. On the surface, they look like they'll work great; submersible, low watts, cheap. But the problem comes if the water level drops around the heater and the glass cracks... the best scenario is the heater shorts out, worst, your water system carries an electric shock. Glass gets in the water. Water gets cold and freezes.

I think a dog water bowl heater would be more safe, even if you just submerge it into the bucket.

8. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Agreed - aquarium heaters - NOT SAFE!

9. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
  10. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    I use a heated dog pail. Put a peice of flat plastic on top with hole big enough for the chickens to reach water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by