Water for chickens in cold climate

Wisconsinted

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
This is my first year with chickens, and I live in Wisconsin, which soon nights will start getting below freezing, and soon after that some days, and soon after it will most likely be below freezing all day long, with possible below zero temps, polar vortexes, you name it . What is the best way to get water to chickens in this climate? Kind of a noob question but I work during day so I can't be with my chickens to keep giving them new water, as well as lack of daylight will be an issue when I'm not working. If someone uses something to keep water in it's liquid state, what do you use?

I use the bucket heater from TSC in a bucket that is wraped in Fiber glass insulation and then covered with duct tape. It also has 3 of the water nipples in it that they to lick to get the water to come out. I used a "Homer bucket" from Home Depot for the bucket, about 4 gallons. Lasts my 12 chickens about 3 days in winter. Mine is inside the house on concret blocks set in a rubber water heater catch pan to keep the floor litter dry.

I bring fresh water when I bring food. They don't need to drink all day. They will fill up. To be safe, bring water 3 times a day if you don't have a heated bowl. If indoors, a low watt light bulb over the water might keep it from freezing.

This is my first year with chickens, and I live in Wisconsin, which soon nights will start getting below freezing, and soon after that some days, and soon after it will most likely be below freezing all day long, with possible below zero temps, polar vortexes, you name it . What is the best way to get water to chickens in this climate? Kind of a noob question but I work during day so I can't be with my chickens to keep giving them new water, as well as lack of daylight will be an issue when I'm not working. If someone uses something to keep water in it's liquid state, what do

I bought a heated dog bowl off Amazon for $35. Easy option and cheaper option if you have a smaller flock.

I'm just keeping it elevated on a block to try to keep the water as clean as possible.

Edit to add - I haven't tested the longevity of this option as it's my first year with chickens. But the reviews on Amazon using it for cats, dogs & chickens seemed promising enough to try.

In years past I would dump the water at night and refill in the morning and after work.

This year I will use a bucket heater. It's similar to a stock tank heater but designed for a 5 gallon plastic water dish. I used it before when I had ducks. It works very well and only cost about $15.

This is my first year with chickens, and I live in Wisconsin, which soon nights will start getting below freezing, and soon after that some days, and soon after it will most likely be below freezing all day long, with possible below zero temps, polar vortexes, you name it . What is the best way to get water to chickens in this climate? Kind of a noob question but I work during day so I can't be with my chickens to keep giving them new water, as well as lack of daylight will be an issue when I'm not working. If someone uses something to keep water in it's liquid state, what do you use?
Hello Neighbor,
I know we don't agree on a lot of things. LOL. But weather is what we both can agree on. I just received my water heater base today. In preparation of two things that will happen in the Midwest, Cold and Snow. Over the years, I have used heated bowls, deicer, 100 watts light bulbs and etc. Two things to remember, chickens need to always be hydrated. And, if all possible keep the water out of the coop. Water in the coop, causes moisture to build up. We both knows what water does in our weather. You could try a metal double wall chicken waterer with a heater base. How many chickens do you have? Have a great day.

.... If someone uses something to keep water in it's liquid state, what do you use?
I also live in the upper midwest. I use insulation. Specifically a 3-quart, stainless steel, vacuum sealed pail. Most people would use it as a wine cooler. It has worked well for five hens.

Filled with lukewarm water, it will go 12 hours at anything warmer than 15F. That is In the day when they are drinking from it.

I have played around with adding things to push that limit - longer time at those temps or that long at colder temps - but I don't really need to so haven't gotten serious about it yet.

The simplest way would be a piece of 2" foam insulation board under it. Or even wood. Mine has been on a cement block. I'll probably get around to at least that much this year. Maybe even a second layer of foam board with a hole cut out so the bucket can rest inside it and have more insulation up the sides. Or some such thing.

I'm also thinking of sinking a container of boiling hot water in the bottom of it, I've tried that a few times; it isn't as easy as I expected. It needs something small enough to fit in the ice bucket and a way to stay at the bottom of the bucket without taking too much volume from the water.

I've also though of making a partial lid of some sort.

Anyway, I think it can be made effective for 10 to 12 hours down to subzero temps. I'd have to try some adjustments to see about colder.

Back
Top Bottom