Best cam recommendations

Their enclosure is inside the barn. They used to sleep in barn and free range outside in the pasture but then I lost most of my flock so am making a day enclosure inside near their sleeping stall.

I bought a long range wireless access point but then support techs for Amcrest said this camera is not an IP camera and that it can only get the signal from the monitor that is attached to the router and not the long range access point.

I think a high gain antenna would work if it was ran to the outside of the metal building but I can't find anyone that knows if it would work or what I need to make it work. I am not sure why this camera is not an IP camera. And if I trade this one for an IP camera, then it could access the Engenius long range access point. I think! lol This is really hard when you have a metal barn.

Last edited:
Sounds like IP camera is the only option. Once you identify the IP address with your router you can access them from any computer without a network.

My Sharx worked well for one year and then lost connection - have exhausted all attempts to get it back on line, so have a new different brand ordered from Amazon, and a lot cheaper than the last one. There are quite a number of reasonably priced ones available - make sure you get an outdoor all weather type.

Maybe one of those that look more like a globe and could place in the roof.

The picture quality is outstanding on the 1080 models and the sound is quite sensitive. Have muted mine so anyone happening across it won't hear the humans. :) So even if you cannot see everything you will certainly be able to hear all.

Good luck with getting the surveillance going.

I have a baby monitor for audio inside the barn already.

If I could just find a replacement antenna but I'm so confused about the cable ends.
They show an image of the end and say it's a male when to me it looks like a female but it looks like what I need but I don't want to buy something I can't return if it's wrong. I need some type of forum to ask.

May I ask what camera you have?

Thanks

Edited to add: I did find out that there are two different cable ends. One is RP-SMA and one is SMA. So originally they were SMA and were changed to RP-SMA. So now I know I need a male RP-SMA connector.

Last edited:
@hayley3

Glad you got the antenna cable thing worked out, my DH always handles that part:)

The IP camera in the trash is a Sharx but it worked well for one year - may have been a lighting storm that caused the failure. When it went off line it was lost to remote internet access as well as to network wireless router.

The one I ordered from Amazon is PHYLINK Bullet HD1080.

My regular monitors are Uniden - not IP, just remote small monitor to watch and listen - but the cameras transmit wireless to the monitor. Mine is an older model and you can connect the monitor to a PC to record or view, but not high quality pics. I would think this works just like your baby monitor? But I do have a positional effect to view the camera behind my coop.

The IP address is assigned when the camera joins the network, if you are not connected to that network, you can't access the camera...
I have been able to access mine on any computer, but you do have to enter a password to view on non-network remote PC or Mac's. Those go directly thru the net to the camera and not thru your home router.

If I could just find a replacement antenna but I'm so confused about the cable ends.
They show an image of the end and say it's a male when to me it looks like a female but it looks like what I need but I don't want to buy something I can't return if it's wrong.  I need some type of forum to ask.

Unscrew the antenna, take measurements oand pictures of the antenna end and the camera end and post them up here...

The IP address is assigned when the camera joins the network, if you are not connected to that network, you can't access the camera...

I have been able to access mine on any computer, but you do have to enter a password to view on non-network remote PC or Mac's.

Your camera joins your routers local network and is assigned a local IP that you can use to access the camera from other locally networked computers, using that local IP... Your router is also joined to the world wide web network via your Internet providers router and is assigned an IP for the WWW network... To access your camera outside your local network you first have to access the router that then facilitates the connection to the local network by forwarding the request to the cameras local IP...

Those go directly thru the net to the camera and not thru your home router.

Incorrect, if your camera is networked via a router and not directly to the 'modem' then any connection made from the internet is facilitated by your router... If it's connected directly to the modem, then the connection is facilitated by your Internet providers router that is connected to the WWW...

Your camera joins your routers local network and is assigned a local IP that you can use to access the camera from other locally networked computers, using that local IP... Your router is also joined to the world wide web network via your Internet providers router and is assigned an IP for the WWW network... To access your camera outside your local network you first have to access the router that then facilitates the connection to the local network by forwarding the request to the cameras local IP...

Incorrect, if your camera is networked via a router and not directly to the 'modem' then any connection made from the internet is facilitated by your router... If it's connected directly to the modem, then the connection is facilitated by your Internet providers router that is connected to the WWW...
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the remote connections needed the router. So that means an IP camera not connected or recognized by the router won't be accessible..hmmmm.
Gonna dig the Sharx out of the trash and hold onto it. Could it be my router and not the camera ?
idunno.gif

@MeepBeep are you a computer wizard?

I did find out it's an rp-sma antenna that I have....but I have to find a replacement antenna for it now with a longer cable.

I went ahead and bought a cam so I have "something" until I can find a suitable antenna for the side of the barn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom