BEST CHICKEN BREED EVER!!! Come and debate your faves!

kjpuggles3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
Hi hi!
wee.gif

So? Which chicken lays the most eggs a week and can still live in harsh New England winters? Hmmmm? Or, if you have no clue, whats your favorite chicken and why? Thanks!

MAY THE BEST CHICKEN WIN!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

-K

dont know about the cold north,but here in tx my best layer is a ideal 236 with an egg a day and doesnt miss a day.2nd best gold sex link:cool:

KRAIENKOPPE, KRAIENKOPPE!!!
big_smile.png
They're vigorous layers and are practically immune to cold weather. They're smaller birds, too (5 to 6.5 lbs. for males), making them even more economical. Great free-rangers, I hear. Best part is, if you keep Kraienkoppes, you're promoting a very rare breed here in the States....

My gold sex link and white leghorn have never missed a day laying in a year and a half. They pay the slackers way around here lol.
Its funny because I bought the gold sex link at tractor supply because I felt sorry for her she had a golf ball sized dried up poo on her butt and looked so sickly (took her home and cleaned her up and she was all better). I got the white leghorn there too to be her friend so she wouldn't be lonely. Now they are the best layers of all the breeds I have.

Last edited:
It's a fact that Hybrids lay better than Pure. However Hybrids lay them all in the first couple of years whereas Purebreds lay the same over a longer period. Of course once your done with a Hybrid you just cull and toss it. Also if you have small children and want pets then Purebred might be something to keep along with the Hybrids.

As for hardiness , there is much debate as to whether Hybrids are as hardy as Purebreds. The consensus is they are not. Which is why commercial farms use more antibiotics than backyard farmers. IMO if I have to dose my birds with drugs to keep them healthy I don't want them.

As for cold hardy, the heavier breeds are best in colder areas. Rose or Peacombs are better also since frost bite can be a problem for roosters.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom