Best Chicken Feed For 20 WEEK Old Pullets?

Robert Kazlauski

Chirping
Nov 9, 2023
Need an update. In your opinion what is the best brand of chicken feed to give 20 week old pullets? Why?

How often should you feed them?

Any super brands that are not dusty? I like Dumor but starter feed was so dusty.

In your opinion what is the best brand of chicken feed to give 20 week old pullets? Why
A 20% protein all flock feed. They aren’t laying yet so they don’t need that extra calcium that a layer feed would provide. Even when they are laying I would highly suggest staying on an all flock feed (with oyster shells in another dish so they can get what they need) as the higher protein is overall just much better for the birds themselves. (Someone can jump in and add more to the actual things that a 20% feed is better for as I don’t know off of the top of my head.)
You should always have food available for them when they are in their run.
Any super brands that are not dusty? I like Dumor but starter feed was so dusty.
Most feed is going to be dusty due to the feed getting crushed and shoved around with shipping. I personally don’t know a brand that hasn’t had less dust than another.

Ditto on the above. I feed Kalmbach 20% All Flock, with oyster shell and crushed egg shell on the side. It's a crumble-style feed.

The fine bits that fall to the bottom of the bowl are saved for making their favorite snack of all: The fine bits wetted into a mash. Almost zero waste.

Need an update. In your opinion what is the best brand of chicken feed to give 20 week old pullets? Why?

save the dust until you get a good bit and add hot water to it and make it kinda like grits and feed it to your chickens. Mine love it.

A 20% protein all flock feed. They aren’t laying yet so they don’t need that extra calcium that a layer feed would provide. Even when they are laying I would highly suggest staying on an all flock feed (with oyster shells in another dish so they can get what they need) as the higher protein is overall just much better for the birds themselves. (Someone can jump in and add more to the actual things that a 20% feed is better for as I don’t know off of the top of my head.)

You should always have food available for them when they are in their run.

Most feed is going to be dusty due to the feed getting crushed and shoved around with shipping. I personally don’t know a brand that hasn’t had less dust than another.
All the dust and tiny left over feed, even in the feeders gets put into a airtight container and in my kitchen. I use all that dust and tiny bits and add water to make a mash to offer every morning/evening and/or when I need to get some quick feed into a certain hen. every so often instead of adding water to the dust to make a mash, I'll add the chicken vitamin water. (every 3 months). Good Luck! 🐔 :love

All the dust and tiny left over feed, even in the feeders gets put into a airtight container and in my kitchen. I use all that dust and tiny bits and add water to make a mash to offer every morning/evening and/or when I need to get some quick feed into a certain hen. every so often instead of adding water to the dust to make a mash, I'll add the chicken vitamin water. (every 3 months). Good Luck! 🐔 :love
Thank you so much for the helpful hint.

Back
Top Bottom