BEST chicken feed recipe, ever.

digitS' :

That person appeared and disappeared in the same instant

. . . 3 years ago.

Vavavroom!

Steve

I realise that now that I've read the whole thread- should have done that before commenting:/​

Quote:
I realise that now that I've read the whole thread- should have done that before commenting:/

At any rate, it made for an interesting discussion -- more interesting that the recipe, imo.
wink.png

This recipe was the first recipe I ever saw for homemixed feed and I am eternally grateful to that person who set up the website. I yearned to give my precious jungle-birds-come-visiting natural food in its natural state. I too have enjoyed reading the current discussion, lol!

Split peas? For my 2¢, I think that's one of the better ideas around
wink.png

Field peas have a lower level of anti-nutrients than soybeans and some others in the legume family but I think it may still be a good idea if the dry peas are cooked in some way. Combining those peas with something like wheat could be very nutritious.

NDSU says that, "For laying hens, peas can be fed at up to 40% of the diet . . ." (click) So, as a scratch ingredient - peas look like a good idea to me.

The source for that recipe in the original post for this thread is no longer selling chickens. They may just be taking a break from the enterprise .

Steve
ETA: And yes, my hens like split peas
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed split peas too, and there is a "dose" of them, above which, they leave them behind in the feeders. So you have to give in small quantities or grind them and add to the mix.

See my BYC page for how much I add. (I should say added since I'm on a chicken break for now.)

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/poultry/bba01s21.html
here is another peas document

Also I just reread the above post and just wanted to mention that yes indeed chickens are individuals and some will eat their peas and some won't.
lol.png

I enjoyed the post.

Last edited:
I have just resumed raising chickens after maturing into my own activities.
I will be giving them a myriad of stuff, but probably nothing really traditional. I currently am raising mealworms, redworms, african nightcrawlers, black soldier fly, tilapia, catfish, goldfish, several water plants and a greenhouse full of produce and flowers.
The chickens will get a small run under one of the greenhouse benches for the winter and a run in the garden during warmer months. They will get to eat all the waste we creat in the kitchen and garden as well as the many natural bugs and the ones I'm raising to supplement them in the winter.
I'll try to remember to let folks know some results as I can see them.
Bill
Sand Hollow Idaho

I'm all for people doing thier own thing. As for myself, when I first started raising chickens/turkeys/ducks/peafowl I tried every kind of feed, and ratios in the book. Medications in the water, and feed, etc and every remedy for the different issues I encountered. The trouble was because I was new I had no opinion and was reading everyone else's and had no clue which one to follow. I didn't have a forum like this one to find info.

So after much trial and error and TONS of frustration and pulling out my hair I decided to go 100% free range. The only thing I fed them was cracked corn on occasion in the winter, and left out water even though they drank a lot from the creek that ran through my property. I also would throw out oyster shells from time to time. The result was the healthy and happy birds. I didn't even hatch any eggs. I let the hens do it and let them raise them. Keep in mind that I lived on 5 acres that was surrounded on three sides by woods. So bugs of all kinds were abundant as well as garter snakes. The hens layed consistently all year long.

Now I'm not saying this is the best thing for everyone, or their set up and property. I'm just saying it was right for me. Just like mixing a million things in feed might be the right thing for others. The point is that everyone has thier own opinions, but the minute people start telling them how wrong they are in a not nice way is when people stop posting. Don't get me wrong I think it's great to educate someone if they are doing something that isn't beneficial or may do harm. But for one person to criticize another just for the sake of criticizing helps no one and only serves to run people away.

Believe you me I know what it is to deal with " newbies" in other areas ( I've been a breeder and exhibitor of Great Danes for 17yrs) but I also haven't forgotten what it was like to BE a newbie either, and I think people forget that. No one is born an expert in anything, and everything in life is a continual learning process. But the minute a person thinks they know it all or have no more to learn they need to step back and examine things.

JMHO as a person new to this site. Education doesn't = criticism. By the same token though, those who are new should always try and learn from those more experienced. The quickest way to upset or offend someone who has been " in the trenches" for years is to be a know it all and instant expert. The smartest thing someone that's new to anything can do is to ask questions and learn from other peoples mistakes.

I hope no one is offended by my post. Please take in in the spirit it was intended which was just an observation from one who has been on both sides of the newbie/experienced fence.
:)
Rebekah

Back
Top Bottom