best chicken for breeding?

Nchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
hi,

after my experimental failure, i'm now looking to buy some chicks to breed can anyone name any randy birds?

thanks.

my incubation didn't work and left me with £10 out of pocket and 27 dead fertile embyros.

I want to get a breed of bird that lays good eggs + re-produce quite well..

I was thinking shavers but can't find any farmer that has them apart from my grandad, however as many as he has (over 200+). he won't get rid of any.

shavers sell for a lot around here, (£10 per chick) YES chick.. day old unsexed etc but seriously, at the no one wants to get rid

Last edited:
my incubation didn't work and left me with £10 out of pocket and 27 dead fertile embyros.
I want to get a breed of bird that lays good eggs + re-produce quite well..
I was thinking shavers but can't find any farmer that has them apart from my grandad, however as many as he has (over 200+). he won't get rid of any.
shavers sell for a lot around here, (£10 per chick) YES chick.. day old unsexed etc but seriously, at the no one wants to get rid
I say you cant go wrong with red sex links and a Ameraucana rooster, this will produce green eggers that will lay alot of them green eggs.... get yourself a few(or one) silkie hens.. they will go broody on a lemon if you allow them, and they are good mothers...

Ah, OK I got another question.

Could you eat the green egg? Is it more healthier? I was going to use haygate point to lay pellets to feed them, or is there another recipe that i should use?

Thank you for the advice!! :)

Just a noobie looking to start basically, they'res a huge market where I am, and everyone is looking for chickens, and no one supplies really and would like to fill.

(also mass redundancy, here.. Like I said my grandad has a huge farm but sell at a loss with the eggs, got over 200 red shavers. producing over 90 eggs per day. and makes £60 per day. (Cost £7 to feed per day)..

now what I am looking to do is on the same field (of coruce can't make them mix so fencing them in but free ranging them). is to breed my own, first buy a lot of 3 or 4 chicks + 1 cuckrul and go from there.

Last edited:
What about some Light Sussex? They lay good and make a good meat bird too. Plus the show people love them. 3 f0r 1 bird. Several great strains in England. Check the internet for their websites. Get some started bird. A trio (2 females, 1 male) or a quad (2 females, 2 males). If you want a quality flock of any breed, start with started, young birds at least 12-18 weeks old. That way the breeder will have culled them at least once, maybe twice for quality. Plus you will redeem the time it takes to raise them to this age in your breeding program.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

how would I go about breeding the birds? I know I got to have the rooster. do I trap them intogether? (well not trap them). and what does culled mean?

Back
Top Bottom