best chicken for breeding?

I know you said you werent looking for batams but you cant go wrong with Silkies! We have a lot of differant breeds over here on our little 'farm' and the silkies are the nicest, we can brush them and bathe them every once and a while, pet and cuddle, and they dont mind. Plus our laying Silkiie lays just about everyday and are seriously the BEST motherly chickens i can think of and extremely tame! Really you SHOULD consider it but no harm would be done if you dont, just letting you know my opinion!
hugs.gif
highfive.gif

-SilkieLoverz123

hi,
after my experimental failure, i'm now looking to buy some chicks to breed can anyone name any randy birds?
thanks.
"randy birds" I know that's a British term. Are you looking for birds with attitude, like a game cock??
Or birds with robust health that are easy to hatch and raise? I guess either one could be termed "randy"?
Thanks,
Karen in US

There is a Sussex Poultry Club in England. Very old Club with lots of good breeders in it. They can teach you what you need to know. Check the Internet for keywords: Cheshire Poultry Sussex : and a link should come up for a British Sussex breeder who can get you in touch with th Sussex Poultry Club.
Best Regards,
Karen
================
Here ya go, here's the URL's:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sussex/BRKSussex.html
scroll down to see contact info for "The Sussex Club"

http://www.cheshirepoultry.co.uk/light_sussex.html
This breeder has an application for the Club on their website.

Video: LIGHT SUSSEX LARGE FOWL BRED FROM CHESHIRE POULTRY .

One word of warning in Sussex chickens..do not cross strains. The breed has plenty of genetic diversity in the strains that exist. It takes a large operation and years of careful culling (culling is when you get rid of the birds that don't help your breeding program) to bring a strain back to top quality after strains are mixed. In this case, Cheshire Poultry has already done the work for you. They have great quality in their show Light Sussex which are a result of mixing two strains. This gives you the genetic diversity you want. You can just breed this one Cheshire strain among itself , and with careful selection, have lovely birds for many years.
Another good thing is, that if you ever need to bring in related blood in the future, you can go to Cheshire Poultry and they can help you pick a bird which is not too closely related to yours, but from the same breeding operation. This is the best way to bring in fresh blood to your flock. That way you will have very little unwanted genes showing up when you add in the new bird to your flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom